Video synch on multiple PC

Hi guys,
what is the state of art to synch videos on multiple machine with vvvv today? I would like to understand if there is a way to build a “media server” with vvvv in order to manage a lot of layers of videos on multiple ledwalls.

Thanks!

there are ways to sync stuff, but you would need everything in special formats
and yes yo can try to do a mediaserver but it is’t easy and quite advanced in terms of knoweledge…

Any suggestion about “ways to synch stuff”? Which nodes are useful for this purpose? With “special formats” do you mean hap codec or other? Boygroup is reliable for this purpose?

Sorry for a lot of questions. I’m trying to understand what is the best approach with vvvv today.

Thanks!

Have a look here:

About formats, I think hap or dds should do it.

But since you want some layering and I guess ability to switch layers, then you need a GUI so then you would need to send some parameters through the network… and that’s where you need c# or VL to create, manage and share data structures…

What you need as an drawing of how you see your GUI, to set it up and control app, so then it’s possible to make a data structure layout of your software and only after that I would start to assemble something

What about boygroup? Is it a reliable way for building a media server or not? I don’t have any serious experience with that.

OT: Do you think is it possible to use 1 PC with 3 4k outputs? I’m thinking about the way to use a single PC with large outputs and then assign portions of resolution on different ledwalls.

also have a look at these nodes, works in boygroups and non boygroups:

with a good graphics card this should be possible, you can use the HAP player for that:

also you can find examples for synced video playback in boygrouping and non-boygrouping scenarios here:

girlpower\Video

Thanks guys for the feedback!

2 questions:

1. New Nvidia GPU RTX series work well with v4?
  2. I know well Hap contribution. Do you think is it possible to build video synch modules with hap player similar to Filestream nodes? I would like to work with DX11.

yes

your best case scenario is then to encode everything into one single video with a very big resolution, so you will need only one player.
but i never tested that for such a high resolution.

Ok. So there is no chance to have DX11 video synch on multiple machines?

Do you think is it possible to use 2 GPU on 1 PC in order to manage bigger resolutions? The 2 GPU are in synch?

Thanks guys for all the info!

I did successfully run a hap player sync playback test once, but didnt follow up on it.

It was a relatively low tech variant where one player was the master and would send over network the frame it was on, the other machine would simply seek to that position after some filtering for race conditions in network transmissions (packet with lower frame no arrives after the master player allready sent higher ones).

But this simple thing would just work for one layer.

Hi guys,
in order to use 1 PC with multiple outputs what do you think about GPU like Radeon Pro WX 9100 or similar? Do they work with vvvv and hap plugin? How many output do you ever managed with this kind of GPU?

Thanks!

What about Display Port hub MST? I read I can connect 4 1080p monitors to 1 DP port. Do you think I can use more DP hub MST to connect 8 monitors from 2 DP port or even more?

Sorry for too many questions but I’m trying to undestand how can I manged a multi-monitor/projection/ledwall project.

I’ve would use 3-4 1060gtx or 1070gtx, don’t see much hassle here, but you also would need fat motherboard…

Ati was crap, but quite a while ago… so it might work, I know people were using eyenfinity setups

Using extra hardware attached on outputs is general pain in connectivity (eg. not always work with longer cables)

This pretty much all you have to know…

i dont know the current state of pairing with GTX
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1033488/geforce-drivers/can-i-use-the-geforce-950-in-the-same-system-as-a-quadro-nvs-510-/post/5269147/#5269147

@DiMiX: 8 4K outputs!? Wow! Did you test it with vvvv?

i have nvs 510 only. Its hard to compare with nvs 810 But I think for pre-rendered stuff /mediaserver it should work. its designed for multi-display digital signage setup. but for directX dont expect too much. my nvs510 is on the level GTX 600M-700M.
P.S. you can double it (up to 16 displays when used with multiple NVS 810 graphics cards)

@DiMiX: Do you think it works with hap plugin to managed videos on multiple screens? With double gpu all the outputs are in synch?

Thanks for the useful info!

If you are going to use your setup in a professional situation and plan to use more than one output or even multiple cards you should avoid consumer/gaming cards like the 1060 gtx etc. - especially when displaying content on LED walls. In those scenenarios the outputs of the GPU(s) need to be framelocked.
This is only the case with professional workstation cards like the Nvidia Quadro Series or AMD’s Firepro / Radeon Pro.
When you are going for more than one card per PC those cards have to be synced to each other using special boards - Quadro Sync or FirePro S400. In general I’d advise against more than one card per system, see for example:

When using external “splitters” make sure they also support framelocking, this is not the case with MST-hubs or Matrox’ Dual-/Tripleheads. Again you’ll need professional (more expensive equipment) like the Datapath FX4.

Also have a look at: