Writer(EX9.Texture) - uncompressed format?

Hi,

is there an uncompressed format that Writer(EX9.Texture) can put out, like TIF?

I create a displacement texture that i save with writer, but when I use the texture in Displace(EX9.Tex Filter) it I always gives a kind of noise that is around the displacement parts as I want them, and that noise is different with different file formats (dds, jpg) of the displacement texture.

Any recommendations?

thx f

you should use .dds, this is uncompressed (if you don’t use DXT or BC formats) and also the fastest to read and write.

artefacts can also come from re-scaling textures, so make sure that the texture size is never changed.

hi tonfilm,

i do use DDS.

with DDS as displacement texture its like this:

with JPEG as displacement texture its like this:

the thin outlines are the artefacts, and since they look slightly different with jpeg or dds i thought it could be a compression thing, also they appear to have a left to right direction, there are no artefacts on the left side of the shapes…

best

maybe you need to store a float format, it all depends on formats and sizes… follow the data and check which step might introduce changes. use the Info node to check the texture format.

hm.
didn’t find something.
DX11 version of Displace works a bit better, and somehow the artifacts become a bit less when I change things related to MipMaps.

this looks very strange to me. can you upload the patch so we can have a closer look at what’s going on there?

Joreg_Displace.7z (269.8 KB)

hi lari.fari, the patch does’t show how the displace map is generated… can you give more info on that?

Make_Displace.7z (27.6 KB)

i think you are rendering black strokes with anti aliasing around the shapes. so set the alpha component of your strokes to 0 to not render them. setting the stroke width to 0 does enable the default stroke size.

in general i think that anti aliasing is the problem here that mixes the color with the background on the edges of each colored area, but i think you want no blur at all on the borders.

i think i had the stroke colour on 0 alpha at some earlier point, but i’ll try again.
thanks for the hint with default stroke size - so the way to have no strokeat all is to have some stroke but 0 alpha, yes?

thanks!

also you input fractional numbers as texture size, that doesn’t help either:

Hm yes looks like antialiasing, but… antialiasing where? in the svg renderer? i don’t see where to change AA in Renderer(SVG) .

I have now integer Texture dimensions and a transparent stroke, but still the artifacts.

i’m afraid your patch is too complicated and does not clearly show the problem you describe. please take the time to simplify your patch to the minimum that demonstrates your problem instead of expecting from us to take that time to figure out what you’re working on…then we’d love to help.

the one that creates the displacement texture i guess, yes?

there should be only one patch where you show us both. reduced to the ~10 nodes really necessary to show the problem. and describe whats happening there. atm there is too much noise that doesn’t seem related to the problem.

yes, SVG does anti-aliasing by default. that seems to be the problem. currently there is no option to change that. but i’ve had a look into the code and the pins can be added. i’ll add an issue…

unfortunately this is a bit more work since it needs changes in the SVG library itself. can’t promise anything before beta36. but you can try to make DX9/DX11 polygons instead of SVG polygons and render them with DX where you can control the rendering quality much better.

great, thanks! i will look into it tomorrow.

joreg, i tried to simplify but didn’t get too far yet. lets see.

best regards lf

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.