VPM DX11 pack compilation error

I wanted to take a look into fieldtrip, and thought it would not hurt to install all needed packs over existing to get them all up to date. Sadly installation stopped with this error:

Installing dx11-vvvv
Compilation error:
(7,11): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Newtonsoft' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
(28,24): error CS0103: The name 'JArray' does not exist in the current context
(46,9): error CS0103: The name 'ThrowException' does not exist in the current context
Press any key to exit...

edit: This only seems to happen with dx11-vvvv.latest.vpack , in contrast dx11-vvvv.1.0.1.52.vpack worked fine. Looks like it does not compile anthing, but only copies files. With this older version field trip is missing nodes like “SpriteBuffered” which have been added since version from summer 2017.

this is caused because Roslyn scripting engine can’t load assemblies (such as the Newtonsoft.JSON) from sandboxed files (a.k.a.: exe or dll downloaded or unzipped from the internet)

solution: like with vvvv please extract VPM files with 7zip or anything other unzipper which won’t put the sandboxed tag on extracted files (do not use the Windows File Explorer unzipper, WinZip or WinRar). this is a windows thing and the only work around it, is building an executable installer which I have absolutely no priority to do atm. If you don’t have access to such unzipper go to the folder of vpm.exe and click “unblock” in right-click-context-menu/properties for every DLL or EXE file you can find there.

This happened when I clicked on the link on https://vvvvpm.github.io
No manual unzipping was done from my side (I always use 7zip anyways).

@Meierhans The issue appears after unzipping the instance of vpm itself (vpm.zip) with Explorer

Thx, looks like I indeed unpacked VPM itself with something bad. Things are up and running now.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.