VL Spray - where is destroy

the spray example contains a destroy method. i only see this method in the overview on the left but not in the patch. there is create and update and i would expect destroy to be there as well. why is destroy marked red ?

probably simple to explain. is there a way to navigate into properties and method via overview ?

The spray patch does not need to do anything on Destroy, so there is nothing assigned to it.

You can create as many operations as you want in the explorer and nothing appears in that color in the patch if you do not assign anything to it.

So it is just a left over operation that you are seeing.

and is there an overview what the icons mean ? outline triangle, filled triangle, outline rectangle etc. ?

sometimes its a collapse icon but next to class it does something different. what is the filled rectangle for ?

iā€™m kinda struggeling with the interface. while vvvv just has a few rules and was therefore ā€œeasyā€ to learn , vl in contrast needs documentation. i know youā€™re on it and iā€™m looking forward to it. i would probably prefer short videos to the gray book which probably tries to cover everything in the future.

data type patches do not have a defined ā€˜centerā€™ for operations and properties can be accessed in multiple places. we thought about it but did not find a well defined behavior. the latest idea was to highlight the respective elements in the patch on hover in the explorer. but that feature didnā€™t made it into the release.

in util patches however this works. if you browse the CoreLib.vl document, have a look into the vector utils patch or so. if you click there on an operation entry in the explorer the patch will be centered to that operation definition.

oops, there was an old edit in the browser. see aboveā€¦

thanks tebjan.

@u7angle seems you have the same problems as i have :).

sure, there will be video docs as well.

hard to guess what the elements mean, thatā€™s true. maybe a simple tooltip would help in most cases.

the empty triangles are indeed expand/collapse.
the filled triangle indicates a drop down list.
the rectangle besides a data type name sets whether generics are allowed or if every type has to be fixed in that patch.

if you have more specific questions donā€™t hesitate to open a new forums thread.

1 Like

I think the two different kinds of operations is a bit confusing. The operations made in the patch are created very differently from those made in a data type.

One of these should be called a ā€˜Methodā€™ for differentiation.

Then you have ā€˜Nodesā€™ which are not very different from operations, created in patchesā€¦

we chose to do the differentiation by specifying the kind of operation, patch or node by a prefix. for a beginner the details are not that important. just make this or that node in an operation of a patchā€¦ for the advanced user you can be more precise by the following terms (which may slightly change in the future):

###definition side:
operations:

• util operation
  • member operation

patches:

• stateful patch
  • record patch
  • class patch
  • document patch
  • group patch (<- find a better name for this one)

###application side
nodes:

• util operation node
  • member operation node
  • process node

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.