VL.IO.PLY

By popular demand, here is a .ply polygon/pointcloud reader (supporting both ascii and binary files):

https://www.nuget.org/packages/VL.IO.PLY

install:

nuget install vl.io.ply -pre

Due to the flexible nature of the format, not all possible cases can be supported out of the box. So for now this reads XYZ and RGB components and faces. If your need other info than that from a file you’ll have to implement your own of the adaptive “AsciiVertices” and “BinaryVertices” operations.

Please let me know if you stumble on a file that doesn’t load correctly!

6 Likes

Thanks Joreg!

Cool !

In latest preview (2021.4.0-0187) VL.IO.PLY doesn’t work properly

confirmed. this is fixed in latest VL.IO.PLY (0.0.4-alpha)

Reading ASCII works perfect, but when I read Binary ply out of Blender, the particles are aligned like the image.

confirmed. this is fixed in latest VL.IO.PLY (0.0.5-alpha) and also requires latest 2021.4 preview!

but note: the funky colors are “correct” because the file doesn’t have colors and you’re using the PlyReader (XYZ RGB), ie in this case you’re interpreting the normals as colors.

it seems broken under 2021.4.8… any chance to get a fixed version of it?

EDIT: Sorry, not the reader is broken, only the draw-node. Works fine with Fuse Particles👍

Hello guys, I am confused on how to use this on my own patch, for sure its not a problem of the contribution, its just me doing something wrong at the gamma level

Let say that I create a new patch, I import stride and vl.ply
I copy paste the “example file” on my new patch, and the “draw” node its not there, no problem I copy it from the example file also, and now DrawColoredParticlesShader is missing
I have the file DrawColoredParticles_DrawFX.sdsl , its on
C:\Users\computer\AppData\Local\vvvv\gamma\nugets\VL.IO.PLY.0.0.5-alpha\help\shaders

But I have no clue on how to put it on my document

Same problem If I open the sample document, and I save it on my desktop
after re opening , I have the same condition.

.sdsl files need to be in a subfolder \shaders next to the .vl file.
so if you copy anything over you also need to copy and place the .sdsl file correctly.

1 Like