V4 and databases

Hi folks!

I wonder if it is possible to connect vvvv to a (sql)database, to retrieve strings, which then are manipulated by vvvv.
In addition, I want to represent connections between these strings in a graphical manner (some kind of a network).

Any help is apreciated

um…first i’d say…sure.

i don’t know much about sql-databases…how do you communicate with a database? is it via a network-port? tcp/udp? or am i totally wrong…

joreg:
um…first i’d say…sure.

i don’t know much about sql-databases…how do you communicate with a database? is it via a network-port? tcp/udp? or am i totally wrong…

No, you’re right, through tcp.

having vvvv perform sql queries is on a very old wish list.

for now the workaround would be having a php/python/perl/whatever script which exposes the sql acess to the database over a tcp/ip socket. with that you would be able to exchange strings using the TCP object between vvvv and your data base. so you could send SQL statements and get the results as a return.

Another option is using HTTP Get. If you have a script on a web server which does a certain query and returns the results as a web page, you can easily get the xml with the HTTP (Get) node. you can easily try this with any web based database which puts its query strings in the URL.

For a future version, we´ll promise a HTTP (Post) node - this would allow you to edit the database by posting data to the forms of something like phpMyAdmin.
Anyway, for now you could even try to build that yourself with the TCP node.

Thanks for the reply,

I’m very new to v4 and I’ll have to take a look at the TCP object. I want to edit the database (almost inserts and simple queries) through v4, so I’ll try it with a PHP-Script and TCP/IP.
Is it also possible to create objects dynamically (as I don’t know, how many strings will be returned by my sql-statement)?

Is it also possible to create objects dynamically (as I don’t know, how many strings will be returned by my sql-statement)?

most vvvv nodes can handle arrays of arbitary length, called Spreads.
also the regular expression node can handle and create spreads. see FAQ RegExpr.

but if you really have to create nodes there is a CreateNode and DeleteNode node since beta8.1.

have vvvvun !