Using live audio (beginner)

Hi there!
Just picked up vvvv gamma yesterday and have been having a lot of fun with it!

I’m trying to get live audio into vvvv (though mic/loopback or whatever, doesn’t really matter at this stage) to create sound reactive visuals, but I just can’t work it out.

The “CaptureDevice” node recognises my audio devices, but the only outlet is a boolean. How do I get useful information out of it? Just volume would be fine for now, but in future I’d love to be able to filter bass, mid and treble frequencies and detect transients.

I’ve added the NAudio and VL.NewAudio nugets, but couldn’t work any of their nodes out either. In the vvvv beta documentation there is talk of DShow9 and BASS libraries, but I have no clue how to add them and if they are compatible with gamma.

I also added the VL.Audio nuget, which added the promising looking “AudioIn” object, but it’s marked red and says “The fragment Update has errors”.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

VL.Audio is the right package, and you need an ASIO driver to run it. it should add a few help patches to the help browser which should get you started. also note that you always need one AudioEngine node somewhere in the patch to start audio processing.

you can use ASIO4ALL or the FL-ASIO driver as described here: https://thegraybook.vvvv.org/reference/libraries/audio.html

and something like this to send audio between programs and do loopback:
https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

1 Like

Put VL.audio package into your patch
изображение

Add AudioEngine

Learn how to use nodes:
изображение

For Audio Analysis I personally recommend you VL.Audio.GPL nuget with GIST

2 Likes

Awesome! Thanks so much. Can’t wait to give it a go!

@floodcomics Its very basic advices, ask more if you need more specific help

Thanks it worked like a charm!

Yeah sorry about the basic questions, still learning the baby steps :)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.