Transformations

One Sentence: Whats happening in your workshop?
After the workshop you will have a deeper understanding of what actually happens when applying transformations on 3D objects.
What 3 tags describe your workshop?
Transformations, Vector Math, 3D systems
In which of the three categories does your workshop fall: beginner, intermediate, advanced
beginner & intermediate
How long will your workshop be?
(Standard formats are 3h or 2x 3h, but other formats may be possible)
3h
Who is the target audience of your workshop?
You’re a beginner in working with 3D systems or have been using VVVV for some time but still run frequently in the situation where your 3D objects transformation do not behave as you would expect them to.
You finally want to know, why 3D Systems actually work with 4D coordinates (homogenous coordinates).
You want to know what kind of transformations happen in a rendering pipeline.
What knowledge do you presume your participants have?
Basic VVVV knowledge and basic math
What will attendees of your workshop learn?
After the workshop you will have

• a better intuition how to use transforms so that they will behave as you would expect them to
  • have a basic idea of the transforms happening in the rendering pipeline (ie. model, world, view and projection space - what happens where?)
  • some theoretic foundations of what actually goes on inside the transform nodes (vector math, homogenous coordinates, matrices and maybe even quaternions)

What technical requirements does your workshop have (apart from internet and a projector)?
whiteboard or flipcharts

Who would be the two hosts?
@motzi (Matthias Husinsky) - long time user of VVVV, creator of several plugins and packs and lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences St.Pölten/Austria (+10 years of teaching experience)
@Martin_Zrcek

7 Likes

Transformations workshop is a must. Even after so many years I find myself struggling to get them right! It’s not VVVV specific, you can easily transfer the knowledge to other 3D tools.

1 Like

maybe @microdee is up for it

I already proposed 2 workshops and maybe co host a 3rd one but this is indeed a lovely topic!