The Kinect Thread

@marf
That formula is brilliant, works fine for the central pixel, but the edge pixels are different… Do you (or anyone?) know any info on how to find measurement with the edge pixels? I think they lose accuracy from the centre outwards.

Does anybody know of a good place to buy a Kinect in the UK? Mail order or otherwise. Thanks!

Hey there

I just came across vvvv, downloaded it and looked at some of the video tutorials.

My interest in vvvv is primarily for using it in my VJ shows.

I have a kinect, but cant seem to get it to work with vvvv. The CL NUI Device Test runs fine. Downloaded the vvvv-kinect-1.0.zip. Copied the 2 dlls from that zip into the vvvv main directory (which I put into c:\program files\vvvv). When I double click Kinect (Devices) help.v4p the node labeled Kinect (Devices) is in red. Also the node Kinect (EX9 Texture).

Can someone please guide me in the right direction so I can get this device to work with vvvv?

btw one of my goals is to create an effect like this:

I found this:
http://legacy.vvvv.org/tiki-index.php?page=User+Shaders
however I cant seem to get that to work either. I put fire.fx into the \vvvv\effects dir, and the fire.v4p file in d:\vvvv (the directory where I would keep my own vvvv files), but not sure where I should put the .tga files from the zip. Do they need to go into the \vvvv main directory structure somewhere?

thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

best regards
johan

9/5/11 Edit:

After several hours of playing with vvvv last night, I was getting blurry eyed so crashed 4 a few hrs. Came back this morning, googled and found this: openni-plugin

I am still learning the dir structure of vvvv. Came 2 the conclusion I likely had files in the wrong places so deleted vvvv main dir, and reinstalled it. Ran _root.v4p from the zip from above and started hovering over the red nodes. I saw where it was telling me the missing files (cool!). Started copying files/folders 1 at a time into the main vvvv dir and viola! Not only was I able to get the kinect patch to run but also retried the fire effect and it also now runs. Great!

Onward and upward. The _root.v4p shows 2 windows. skeleton and image views. I posed in front of the kinect but it doesnt show anything more than the grid in left hand window (ie doesnt recognize user).

If I drag the image window to my 2nd monitor (the 1 that I hook up to the projector during my live shows) it goes black. I would like the window to be able to go full screen on my 2nd monitor.

I will continue to play with vvvv and see what I can do with it. A tip of the hat to the ppl that created this package. Its very interesting!

Hi.

1. Use the OpenNi Plugin by Hierro with VVVV.
  2. The Fire is an .fx, put it where you want(all togheter). (But I think is not usefull for what you want to do)
  3. Research on cubic interpolation, multigrid, optical flow as the youtube user suggest.

Some skilled vvvv user can tell you a way to make some optical flow image progessing in vvvv

Good luck
Bye

johnasebastian create 2 render windows

put the 2nd on your seconrd monitor, now create an inspector, control+i , select the render node thats on your second monitor, set up the resolution t your maximun monitor resolution, and connect a quad into bouth of your render node, if that works, yo shoud be good to go

open your kinect example, one its working, add a dxtexture node under that render window, now you have your texture, send that texture to the other 2 render that you made , you can use a send and recive node to jump between windows, R and S node, texture

regarding the kinect, is hierro plugin working after updating net framework 4 ?

Hi,

So I’ve been working with Hierro’s OpenNIGeneric Plugin (contribution:openni-plugin) as well as the Kinect v1.0 Plugin by vux (contribution:kinect)

The OpenNI Generic PLugin runs very unstable on my system for some reason.
vvvv crashes all the time.
vux’ Plugin works really well.

The problem is that I can’t get the background out of the way in the latter.
I’ve tried it with a Backgroundsubstraction.fx (via BG-Substract-texture)
But the result is disappointing.

Now the OpenNIPlugin would be perfect because of it’s BG-substract-function but it crashes all the time.

Since I just started working with C# I’m not sure if it would be possible to put that BG-Substract function into vux’ Plugin. Or is there another way around it?

greets
HFS

hey

the last two links (and some others) dont work anymore and I have some problems:

I installed :

• OpenNI-win32-1.5.2.23-redist.msi
  • SensorKinect-Bin-Win32-v5.1.0.25.msi
  • NITE 1.5.2.21
  • copy/pasted files from VVVV-Kinect-1.0 to …\vvvv_45beta29.2_x86\addonpack\lib\nodes\plugins

(I have Windows 7 64 running on a 4years old iMac)

Problem:

the nodes in “Hand (Kinect OpenNI) help” example are gray, not red.
the green light on kinect is blinking.
BUT there is no output, the renderer is blank/white
and the kinect is not running, there is no red laser beam in the left sensor which I know it can be seen if the kinect is working

if I run the PrimeSense NITE Sample - stick figure - it works (thats when I saw the red laser beam)
What do you think the problem is? 64/32 compatibility problem? but why does the NITE sample work than?

I am lost, I read all the threads (I think) and lots of links dont work anymore and I need to finish this in 3weeks for my instalation for Bachelor thesis

Hi Dan,
I’ve came across exact same problem as you, I’ve tried on so many computers, the white window happened on my Mac bootcamp and Acer high-end pc laptop, both of them are 64bits. but weirdly it works perfectly on my netbook and a 5year old core2 pc laptop.
this drives me crazy, my exhibition is next week…gosh
have you find solution??

I figure it out, it’s the version’s problem, i go back to the previous version vvvv28.1, everything works fine.

vvvv_45beta28.1
SensorKinect091-Bin-Win32-v5.1.0.25
openni-win32-1.5.4.0-dev
nite-win32-1.5.2.21-dev