TextureFX 3.0 Preview

After merging the new 3d and 2d primitives pull request, this is also waiting to be included in the previews. What is the status of this @lecloneur?

On what is this pull request waiting? Until it has at least 100 new nodes? :)

1 Like

Hi,

I think I ported everything I could find but before merging it would be great to have some testing to make sure I didn’t miss anything because there are many TFX and I’m not fully sure it is clean.

I think its already included with th 2022.5 previews. No problems so far.

Couldn’t find it in the 22.5 previews… but I gave it a go and wanted to share that when trying to build it from Visual Studio, a vvvv version is specified that is apparently not available as a download anymore. So before hitting CTRL+F5 (as specified in the VL.Stride readme on Github), you need to write an existing vvvv version and build number into Directory.Build.props, like this:

@lecloneur Was searching for the “Wave”-Node, but couldn’t find…

Great job by the way for this huge contribution. 👏

Hallo, wanted to test this and compiled the TextureFX-2 but most Shaders are not there, is it on another branch or just not commited yet? Looking forward for this to be merged ! Thanks @lecloneur

Hey guys,

I’m really happy that you are all still interested in this contrib. Proper VVVV legacy here and the result of not only me but also lots of other contributors. Mad respect to :

unc , microdee , AKa-visuals , everyoneishappy , vux , DigitalSlaves , catweasel, bjoern, idwyr, karistouf, gilbi , antokhio , elektromeier , Desaxismundi , woei , lasal , kalle , DiMiX , sebl, colorsound, princemio , nissidis, ggml , letoast , timpernagel , mburk , ain , circuitb , h99 , Luper , sanch , robotanton and I probably forget others.

When I started using gamma last year I noticed that many TFX didn’t work as they use to. The Blend mixer is the best example : broken BlendModes and Alpha channel problems. Many other very important ones were missing (Echo, etc.). But because VL.Stride is open source I could start fixing them as well as creating new ones.

While porting all the shader I could find from older contribution I also discovered how within the Stride shader system you can use ComputeFloat(). It basically create a GPU<Float32> input pin on the shader node, (works the same for ComputeFloat2, ComputeFloat4, etc…) and very easily bring the opportunity to connect and chain any TFX to any parameter onto the next one (see screenshots previously posted).

It is already here, sort of, take a look at the Blur TFX and its Strength input pin allowing you to connect a texture to control it via ColorMap or ValueMap node. Not even possible back in beta, it is just EXTREMELY powerful and I realized the potential for visual design that this feature can bring.

That’s why I also modified almost every existing TFX in Gamma so anything as simple as a CheckerBoard or BubbleNoise could be chained to become powerful visual generators/filters themselves.

What’s the problem then ?

Around two month later the devs told me that the contribution was now too big for being reviewed and on top of that some core were changed (still no idea why) leading to an unusable pull request. Alright then, I followed what @joreg suggested me and started a brand new pull request coming from a new branch with this time only one TFX committed for review. This only then that they realized there will be breaking changes and so they will need to discuss internally about it. It was a month ago.

Now unless the devs get interested and step in again this contrib won’t happen and sadly I cannot do anything about it. It’s a pity because thanks to Stride Engine and the vvvv contributors there is an incredible potential right in front of us that would put this community project to another level, the third :

==> TextureFX 3.0 <==

Regards.

10 Likes

Please rest assured that we have this on our list. As mentioned, the fact that the current PR is not-mergable as is and the fact that breaking changes are suggested, requires a careful review that just need us to find the appropriate time.

5 Likes

Well at least I learned how to compile Gamma.
Really looking forward to this and to Fuse GPU datatype to be leveled out to the standard GPU type.

does anyone remeber the Node Hexagonize ??
:(

I do

Hexagonize.zip (4.4 KB)

Now if we had enum for shaders we could put Dots, Pixelate and Hexagonal (even Triangle) all together. And if we had Compute value for every parameter we could do something like this :

Where any texture FX becomes a parameter/generator. Here the CellSize is controlled by Noise and Gradient.

5 Likes

@joreg Any ETA for this?

5 Likes

Hi @lecloneur, the work you did is incredible. The potential for TextureFX 3.0 with these new nodes is huge, and it would take the patching experience to another level.

Not to mention could be a great learning resource on how to write SDSL shaders.

I hope to see it in gamma asap!
Please

1 Like

Dr. leCLONEur
You are a fucking Hero.

Is TextureFX 3.0 also going 5.0?

the PR has not been further developed since. so we’re currently planning to do some work on texturefx for the 5.1 release.

5 Likes

OK !

More than 200 TFX from almost 50 contributors since 2008.

11 Likes