Forum

Strange Fullscreen Performance Problem

Hello everybody. I’m having a weird problem. I have an almost blank patch, just Renderer (DX11) and a Timing Node to Debug. Whenever I move the Renderer to my Projectors Output and Go Fullscreen there I got a massive performance drain, as in going from 120 frames to 40. That projector has a sizo 1024x768, but the Renderer shows a much bigger backbuffer size: 2560x1920, which irritates me. Anybody got an Idea?

EDIT: I tried setting the Renderer borderless as a workaround. Doesn’t help. Also tried with different cables / signal converters.

If you have a ‘retina’ screen and are using 200% for example on your text magnification, I think that can make you renderers render at a higher rate than they should. So try turning that off, if its on.

you can set the backbuffer size to a fixed value in the inspektor.

is this running on a laptop or some pc with decent graphicscard ?

Thanks for the advices. Right now I have not found a solution yet. When fullscreening the renderer the GPU usage bumps from 4% to 40% and the CPU from 2 to 15%. When I look into the advanced graphics settings, I see that the laptop’s screen is controlled by the intels gpu and the other screen by the nvidia card.

EDIT: When resizing the Renderer mnually to 4k (just tried it on different displa) and making it borderless, the framerate stays constant at 120 fps
EDIT2: Not really. I realized, I didn’t resize propperly. When draggin the renderer really over the whole screen, it just crashes

@u7angel it’s one of those fancy small gaming laptops. Aerox 15x, with dedicated nvida 1070 maxq.

@tonfilm that’s good to know, but the problem persists, just on a smaler scale. That laptop schould handle an empty renderer in a big resolution at 120 fps anyway.

@catweasel not that I knew about any special display features with this laptop. it’s got some color-related features (X-rite pantone) I haven’t cared about yet.

aha, my question was aiming at that, so nvidia optimus again. i have similar problems sometimes with my dell xps. no solution though.

@u7angel no hope? That thing costed a fortune

ok, so activate the GPU activity symbol in the nvidia driver setting and check whether vvvv runs on the dedicated card…

@tonfilm it does

@u7angel I think I found a solution… there is a physx nvidia surround-option. you have to set it to the nvidia chip. For now it seems to work for me.