Performance with videos

hi,

i guess im hitting on some big topic, that has been discussed lots of times …
but still after working my way through the forums im not totally satisfied

here we go

im working with lots of textures on quads, and videotextures on quads, also png sequences(because of the alpha)
the image data on the quads are working fine, i can move them around smoothely

but first question
i read lot of times about the texture in powers of two
all my textures are either 512x512 or 1024x1024
if i use the texture node, do i use noPow of 2 or pow of 2 stretched? And is data on DX9 texture nodes always handled in the graficcard, or do i have to send it there via queque?

and now for the videos
its says, h.264 is a hardware supported codec, but does vvvv read a h.264 codec data file, if yes which one?
and what is the thing with the mov files, has anyone ever gotten this to work? if yes, with what version of what?
what does the wait for what frame, thing to say?
and to make things fluid how do i find out my framerate to know to which frame to wait for

in the end
are videos faster the loading image sequences?
and loading the alpha png sequence in to ram, does it really work when i take a nother quad, attach it to the renderer and set the quad disabled?

ps. is there a way to find out which part of youre programm sucks up the performance??

i would be really happy to get some answers
perhaps it also helps some other people

thank you very much

hola hariness,

• all my textures are either 512x512 or 1024x1024. if i use the texture node, do i use noPow of 2 or pow of 2 stretched?
    if youre textures are power of two like you say, then PowOfTwo would be the right setting. but actually i’d say that this is no longer that important with recent graphiccards…

only if you have nonpow2 textures of e.g. 1920x1080 you may not want the videotexture to internally stretch the texture to the next power of two which would result in a 2048x2048 texture which may cause a performance issue on some cards…

• And is data on DX9 texture nodes always handled in the graficcard, or do i have to send it there via queque?
    no need to queue. that is handled for you. directx-internally.

• its says, h.264 is a hardware supported codec, but does vvvv read a h.264 codec data file, if yes which one?
    typically vvvv reads what your mediaplayer reads. so if you have a h.264 codec installed vvvv should be able to play such files.

• and what is the thing with the mov files, has anyone ever gotten this to work? if yes, with what version of what?
    see my findings here

*what does the wait for what frame, thing to say?
see the videotextures helppatch for an explanation

*are videos faster the loading image sequences?
videos are beeing streamed. not loaded completely.

• and loading the alpha png sequence in to ram, does it really work when i take a nother quad, attach it to the renderer and set the quad disabled?
    yes. as described here

• is there a way to find out which part of youre programm sucks up the performance??
    try the debug mode with Ctrl+F9. larger numbers means more performance needed.

hey,

im trying right now to get get quicktime to work but
i really want to say thank you, very nice answer, helped me a lot

Thank you very much

greetings

hairness