Performance: delete nodes only used on startup

hello there,

i’m trying to clean up some of my old patches and came over one where lots of stuff is happening on startup, which only sets certain values once, but then stays unchanged/useless although being evaluated. soo, is there a way to delete certain nodes after events? i see there is deleteNodes, but as far as i can see id’s change every time you (re)open a patch…?
oh and coolest thing would be to be able to save the patch after those nodes have been deleted and nevertheless NOT losing them for next startup…dreaming here, uh?

thanks in advance

dw

is there a way to delete certain nodes after events? i see there is deleteNodes, but as far as i can see id’s change every time you (re)open a patch?

yes,
but all nodes have an outputpin which calls their own ID
this pin is invisible by default.
use CTRL+I…

see attched patch. you have 15 seconds…

oh and coolest thing would be to be able to save the patch after those nodes have been deleted and nevertheless NOT losing them for next startup…dreaming here, uh?

i think you are dreaming indeed…

vvvvannabee.v4p (10.9 kB)

hehe, wow, what a patch; i tried to tell people how it is like to dream vvvv, now i know what to show them ;)

oh and huuui, i thought i know a little something now in vvvv; but that’s probably part of it’s beauty - every day something new :) i didn’t know how to activate hidden pins until i’ve seen your patch :D

thanks a lot!

yes,

it is recommended to read EACH Change log carefully otherwise you might miss really valuable new features.

not long ago i took the time to read the whole Change log from beta1 to make sure i didn’t miss anything.

we need to find a structured way to put all this ‘administrative’ features on the wiki.

also the new “copy/paste nodes as xml into/from skypechat”…
really the kick!!

btw @devvvvs:
i would prefer to get the Change log of a new beta distributed as .txt again.
because on almost EVERY release i am in any Internet Cafe with an USBstick…

ha, you see, never heard anything about copy-pasting from skype :D

good point with the changelog, gonna do that…

thx

ah,
wait,

there was an xml-attribute deleteme=“1” which could help here.
but beta20’s dtd only knows create me…

not exactly, but the patch “officially” isn’t modified after deleting.
so it doesn’t query on closing.

is it this you wanted to achieve?

DeleteNodes (VVVV).zip (3.9 kB)

well yeah, actually this is not what i’ve asked for above, but it works fine in my situation, as i can live without saving (trying to save/load everything to/from external files during runtime now).

can you tell me where in your patch you set vvvv to not ask for saving?

thanks a lot mr bohlen.

Dieter is my “Mr. Hyde” when i am on wacky WLANs.

can you tell me where in your patch you set vvvv to not ask for saving?

it’s the “deleteme” attribute itself. can’t say more about this…
search the vvvviki for “deleteme”, perhaps you find some posting of gregsn, where he goes into details…

aha, thx dr. jekyll! ;)