Particles

One Sentence: Whats happening in your workshop?
We will dig into a new particles pack (both CPU(VL) and GPU(dx11)) that is going to be released before node17.

What 3 tags describe your workshop?
Particles system, VL, dx11

In which of the three categories does your workshop fall: beginner, intermediate, advanced
intermediate

How long will your workshop be?
(Standard formats are 3h or 2x 3h, but other formats may be possible)
2 x 3h

Who is the target audience of your workshop?
Anyone who believes in particles as a powerful and expressive matter

What knowledge do you presume your participants have?
Medium/good vvvv, VL, dx11 (HLSL, Compute Shader) knowledge

What will attendees of your workshop learn?
How to patch a particle system using the upcoming new particles pack (authors: hosts and collaborators), taking advantage of both CPU and GPU.

Some of the topics:

• Particle system architecture
  • CPU particles, VL based
  • GPU particles, Compute shader based
  • Properties, emission, forces, behaviours, collisions, …
  • Ping-Pong buffering (queue, verlet, spring constrains,…)
  • Some usage scenario, like kinect interaction and point-cloud animation
  • Designing with particles (from particles to extruded lines/surfaces/objects)
  • Integration in other pipelines (eg. Instance Noodles pack)
  • Rendering via most advanced rendering pipelines (eg. Emeshe 3)

What technical requirements does your workshop have (apart from internet and a projector)?
DirectX11 Graphics card (Shader model 5) notebooks

Who would be the two hosts?
Natan Sinigaglia (dottore) & Paul Scheytt (Raul)

How would the hosts qualify for the topic? (Describe and add links to portfolio website, github, vimeo,… accounts)
Natan Sinigaglia is a sound and visual artist based in Varese, Italy. With a strong background in music, dance and realtime graphics, he creates canvases where these languages loose their boundaries and share forms and meanings.
v4 username: dottore

Since 2007 Paul Scheytt is working with v4. GPU based Particle Systems is one of his favourite challenges.
He is based in Hamburg, is part of the company decode.io and has taught v4 in several workshops.
previous gpu particle workshop: http://node15.vvvv.org/program/workshop/gpu-particles
Company: http://decode.io
v4 username: Raul

20 Likes

This Workshop proposal is cancelled.
A new workshop proposal from intolight (v4u: tmp) will replace it.
stay tuned ;)

I find the intolight particle pack although incredible a bit complex to understand I was looking forward to your particle pack release. And your topics for the workshop seem very cool. it is a shame that you are going to cancel it :(.

I wouldn’t expect anything less complex from a sophisticated particles system …

1 Like

That’s why there will be a workshop on that library, to master its architecture and the principles.
Complexity is just before understanding. It’s a good piece of software, I’m confident you will find much to do after the first steps of the learning curve ;)

Really sorry to hear that, still think both would be interesting.

I proposed another dx11 workshop (DX11 Shaders upper-intermediate) together with antokhio.
it will be less particles specific but i’ll definitively put there some of the topics i wanted to explore in this one.
stay tuned ;)

1 Like