Multiple sound inputs

Hello all , I ’ m new here,

I was wondering if there is a way to get simultaneously multiple audio inputs with vvvv.
I have an EMU audio card with severals inputs in which i would like to plug differents instruments ( up to 8 ) . But the problem is that on the EMU the multiple inputs are used through an ASIO driver and as far as i ve read about vvvv , it doesn’t handles ASIO.
VVVV with ASIO would be just what i ve hoped for long time to make real a project I have in mind.
Unless there is a way to use multiple inputs “pro” audio souncards in a another way.
Hoping for good news…

Anyway thanks for this amazing piece of software.

there is possibly a wdm driver for the emu card that allows you to choose different “Drivers” in the AudioIn node.

alternatively you could use pd for aquiring the audiodata and send the analysed data to vvvv for further treatment.

Hi Joreg I get the point about the WDM driver for emu.But unfortunatly , EMU WDM driver despite the fact that it handles 4 stereos pairs of WDM channels, doesn’t shows multiple devices in the system neither in the audio-in node.
After some search on the EMU unofficial forum in which some emu guys post , it appears that they are awared of this fact.

Here it is what is saying an emu representative about that :"Well, what we have is what we have. We may or may not have separate WDM in the future. "

It sounds like bad news…

About PD, does it handle ASIO ?And can i make PD and VVVV communicate in real time so that PD get the multiple sound inputs and feed VVVV separatly with them ?
By separatly i mean PD audio input 1 is recognized as audio input 1 and so on for all the simultaneous inputs…

sounds good. its no problem to have the inputs as stereo pairs if you want to react to the sound intensity because the RMS (Dshow9) node has a spread of two slices (left/right) if the AudioIn (Dshow9) is set to stereo mode. but you cannot do separate frequency analysis.

the PD way is also possible. inside PD you have all analysis stuff you can imagine. just use a network connection to send the data. there are some good patches around here on this site to communicate with PD.

i would test both ways and see what has less latency, dont uses to much cpu and fit your needs of analysis.

best wishes,
tf

ah, after re-reading your post, its clear. you dont have multiple drivers in the AudioIn node, neither for stereo pairs … damn. you have to give PD a try, it handles ASIO and multiple inputs.

thanks for the input about PD.I ve downloaded it and i 'll give a try.
You are talking about a network connection to make PD and VVVV comminicate each other.Does it mean that the two software have to be on two differents PC ?Or can they communicate while they are running on the same machine ?

no problem you can do it with just one pc!
just use the same ip on the server and the client. or use the string "localhost " instead of the ip. sending data from pd to vvvv is quite easy.

Cool !!
But one thing is questionning me.
Lets say i’ve managed to plug 8 differents instruments in PD using my sound card ,do you think its possible to send the collected audio datas SEPARATLY and simultaneously to VVVV using the network connection?
I mean if i have plugged a guitar in input 1, i’ll need to get audio datas of input 1 in VVVV and so on for all the inputs …
Thanks

++ O god , it would be so much simpler if VVVV had ASIO ! ++

not really much simpler.

just pack all your data in pd to one list. send it via network and receive a spread of values in vvvv.

see a sample of howto in this thread:
http://vvvv.org/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=7&comments_parentId=2426

Thank you Joreg , very nice of you.I ’ m going to give a big try.
By the way do you know if ASIO integration is part of future development of VVVV ?

hard to guess. ASIO is obviously a very interesting thing to have but since all the sound stuff works so good in pd why double the effort. on the other hand we are mainly missing resources to implement it…so…comes time maybe comes ASIO.

I found a work around for getting a stereo pair into VVVV with my EMU 1616M PCI… after a bit of fiddling around and trying out PD… Alas, no luck.

What I have now is an output on my EMU breakoutbox going into the line in on my motherBoards Realtech AC97 builtin sound chip. Installed the onBoard Drivers and selected it as the input on the AudioIN node in VVVV.

Its a good work around for stereo… (hope it helps some peeps)

(don’t have to change drivers to
WDM to hear and see the sound in VVVV)

But ASIO is definately on my wishlist too…

Hi I’am a Noob to VVVV (this is my first post.)

I’m very excited, I’ve been looking for a program like VVVV for around 2 years now… and am very much looking forward to learning
how to use it to help visualise the motion of music.

case.