Jpg compression slow

Why is jpeg compression in v4 so slow?

From max msp I can write 32fps PAL as jpegs to disc. v4 Does only 4-5 fps.
Tracking the bottleneck with textureAsString showed that it’s not the writing speed, but the conversion to jpeg, which is so slow.

Need this to program a videodelay longer than the capacity of the graphic memory.

yea that’s true, really slow, and record to avi also. But to do delay you can just disable renderin on Renderer. Or try use Queue (EX9.Texture) for that…

as said, the memory of the graphics card is not enough for using the queue …
and I need to delay a constant stream of video, not just a single image. delay even has to be variable.

right now I record an image sequence to disc with max msp and read that back in with v4.
works ok for pal, but actually I am looking for an hd possibility

Actually just file writing is slow too, I use screenshot rather than a straight texture node, seems pulling the texture down is another bottle neck, that speeds it up, but not fast enough for realtime, maybe write to a ram disk ?
Also see if dds is faster

I tried what happens when I encode the texture as a string (textureToString) and that iteself is slow, when you connect this to a string ioBox or hover over the pin or try to write this into a file. The datarate is not the problem, that is aroun 60kb per image. TexToString offers several formats as well, jpeg, dds, png,bmp … all of these are slow. And so it is when writing the textures directly.
bmp to a ramdisk could be an option, or an SSD. But the figures with jpeg tell me the problem lies somewhere else …

for texture to jpg conversions vvvv is using directx functions. so i don’t see a way to improve that other than probably a custom freeframe plug that writes files to disk…hacking involved…

that makes sense. and max is probably using quicktime or opengl functions …