Increase FPS (not video related)

Hi all,

I’v been playing around with VVVV for a few days now and am amazed at what it offers.

When I first started using VVVV the “Timing(Debug)” node was reporting pretty much 65 fps constantly. I used the “MainLoop(VVVV)” node and got it to around 4000 by setting the maximum fps to 100000, pretty much removing the limit.

This figure is when I only have “Timings(Debug)”, "MainLoop(VVVV), and a couple of IO boxes in the patch. When I start to patch properly the figure starts to drop.

With a patch containing 13 IO boxes, 2 “Stopwatch(Animation)”, 6 “=(Value)”, 2 “FrameDelay(Animation)”, and 4 “MidiNoteOut(Devices)” the fps value drops to around 500-550.

The problem for me with this is that I want to be able to deal with time in milliseconds. This is only possible in vvvv if I keep the FPS above 1000.

Im looking at the CPU usage of VVVV and its taking like 12-13%. Is there a way of allowing VVVV to use more processing power to increase FPS?

My system specs are as follows:

• Intel i7 920
  • 6 GB DDR3 @ 1066
  • Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX

Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks in advance, Tom.

I think you can’t deal with miliseconds like you want, vvvv works with frames per second, and the most I can produce is 120, but normal patches are running in 60fps or 30fps. But all my patches have a renderer.

We have many nodes that have buffers in them, so you don’t have to miss events that happen in between two frames, like sr232 connections etc…

Hope I am wrong though.

So what is it you want to do that requires that precision?

I was actually wondering something similar. Currently I am working with Arduinos through an RS232 connection, the fastest way I have found to send data to the Arduino is by attaching a Blinker node on the Hot setting to the Do Send pin of the RS232 node. A trick I have found is to have a Framedelay coming from the RS2323’s On Data pin and going back in to the RS232’s Do Send pin with the Blinker on an OR node.

Westbam’s explanation tells me why this could help speed up the data being sent to the Arduino.