How to manage pairs Quad+Text

Hello,

I would like to define pairs of Quad + Text (typically, to have a picture and a legend over it). Their number is dynamic, and they move, so some ones can overlap others. I would also like to be able to define a priority/depth to decide what pair is on the most top.

I have no idea how to do that.

• Joining layers of Quads and Texts using the Group node (Quad at left, Text at right) is not good because this means that ALL texts are always over ALL quads.
  • Using Group with priorities is not possible dynamicaly like here (and all Texts are only 1 layer…).
  • Converting Text to Texture would be a solution, but, again Texts are only 1 layer, and the only solution I know to do that is DX9.Texture, which takes the output of a renderer, so all texts together
  • Tried to “unify” quad and text before they become layers, using meshes (Grid for Quad, Text (EX9.Geometry) for Text), but not succeeded to have a unique spread of different meshes dynamicaly.

Would somebody have an idea ?

Thank you !

Matthieu

getslice(node) for texture and transform pi,s, and getslice(string) for texts are your friend, this is working with groups(ex9)

;-)

No, because the global layer of all the Texts (the right input of group) will be always over the global layer of all the Quads (left input)…

Quad+Text.v4p (6.7 kB)

simply use the z coordinete to define your depth, then the depthbuffer of the renderer will do the job for you…

Yes, it was one of my first ideas, but changing z coordinate has no effect (see patch). Maybe there is something obvious I forget to do, since until now I did not really use the 3rd dimension in vvvv …

Quad+Text.v4p (8.2 kB)

Oh sorry.
I surely missed the lesson about the “Depthbuffer Format” pin, to be set to another thing that “None”. Now it works perfectly.
Really sorry !

Thank you very much for your responses and your time.

Matthieu

Quad+Text.v4p (8.5 kB)