Graphs and edges

hi everybody

i am trying to build up some graphs. (point and edges and so on). right now i am a little bit stuck on how to best do the edges.

using the ex9 line object makes me a bit confused as i can only control the width for the complete line (and not for sections of it which is important to display different edge weightings)

using cylinders as edges would be an optimal approach but i am really having a hard time positioning them correctly (i would love to use the point coordinates directly as cap coordinates for the cylinder…)

any hint would make me happy…

best
wolfgang

…using the ex9 line object makes me a bit confused as i can only control the width for the complete line (and not for sections of it which is important to display different edge weightings)

you could use VertexBuffer (EX9.Geometry Join) and a Mesh (EX9.Geometry Join) for that purpose.

i don’t understand exactly what you want to achieve, but perhaps dikis miter (transform rope dx9) can help??

what i want to do is pretty easy to understand. i want something like this:

• only in 3d.

shouldn`t be to hard to realize… i think vertexbuffer and mesh will do the job (but yet i am not exactly shure how).

still any hint needed

so what you want to render is some graph, like:

but in 3d?

maybe the bone modules could help you to get the cylinders in the right order. they come with vvvv. check also the lamp startup patch by sanch for beta9.

just as a side note…
as i understand the article

it has nothing to do with dimensions. it is just about representing the abstract topology of the graph with a matrix, without any positioning information of the edges, and without information about how many dimensions a room holding the graph could have.

ah, and maybe of interest to you:
traverse (graph searchfromto newwheel ;)
note that the help patch renders a graph in 2d, but the graph processed by traverse is also not bound to any room…

thanks for the bone hint… i will have a try on that…

“…without any positioning information of the edges, and without information about how many dimensions a room holding the graph could have…”

• yes thats totally right - and thats the thing with graphs…
    its all about the dependencies (edges) and its not about the actual point coordinates… in some experiments i will get xy coordinates delivered - in some they are completely random.

i just thaught about 3d space as it can hold more data in a more convenient way and we are naturally used to navigate in 3d space. (this is actually just a very subjective hypothesis ;) )

best
wolfgang