Exporting and importing meshes

Hallo, I know there are older threads about this but all seems to end with no clear or consistent results. Noodles’ OBJ writer worked (as of last year at least) but seems to be broken now. How do we get out and back in meshes in vvvv these days?
tx
Simone

A few weeks ago I managed to create a dxf file from a >100000 points stored in plain text file, via python. Reading, ordering and formatting data, all in < 0.3 secs. With a few optimizations, time could shrink, I think.

Although I made this only for points, that is points from plain text to dxf points, I see I could manage to create lines\edges and polys and materials (from a well defined data input, at least).

I asked for help on shouts to make a plugin, I can restate it here.

Ah yes, if you manage to export ASCII dxf, you can then import it in (almost) any 3d editor; you’d then export from there as dae, fbx, obj, whatever for vvvv.

@io does using the module from an older release of noodles work for you? Would like to fix the exporter when I have time, but would be nice to know if it’s broken from an internal or external change.

Edit:
Does this work for you?

Hallo, sorry for the late reply. The module does work if I reselect it (double left click). This now seems to be a constant behaviour although I am pretty sure it didn t work when I wrote this post. So, there seems be some unforeseeable behaviour, back in 2016 I had it working on my laptop but not on my PC. Weird.

Can try again pls?

I have got it to work in some circumstances, but most of the time the obj export doesn’t work. Usually it exports just the face indexes, but no vertices, normals and texture coordinates. Here is what is exported when I open the Writer(DX11.Geometry OBJ) help.v4p:

Sometimes it just exports 1 triangle. Occasionally, especially after restarting vvvv it also works, but I have found no consistent way of making it work yet.

Sometimes the Writer node turns red and if I leave that patch open you can see its the Readback node thats turning red when pressing export. Weirdly as @io mentions I just now tried it with the Writer patch opened and it worked, although the renderer froze for about 5 seconds and it wrote a 75mb .obj file which is opening and looking fine.

So its working consistently for you @everyoneishappy? Maybe its a graphics card issue?! I am trying this on an a computer with a GTX780M and latest Nvidia drivers, running Win10 and vvvv 50beta35.2 64bit.

This is the TTY output during pressing export and the Readback node turning red:

00:06:11 ERR : Exception caused by node during update :/2833/307/4
  00:06:11 ERR : System.NullReferenceException in VVVV.DX11.Lib: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stacktrace:
     at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.AbstractDX11LayerSpaceNode.Update(DX11RenderContext context)
     at VVVV.DX11.Lib.RenderGraph.DX11DeviceRenderer.ProcessNode(DX11Node node)

00:06:11  -  : Stack Trace
  00:06:11  -  :    at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.AbstractDX11LayerSpaceNode.Update(DX11RenderContext context)
  00:06:11 ERR : Exception caused by node during update :/2833/1038/137/14
  00:06:11 ERR : SlimDX.Direct3D11.Direct3D11Exception in SlimDX: E_INVALIDARG: An invalid parameter was passed to the returning function (-2147024809)

Stacktrace:
     at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
     at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
     at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Buffer.Build(Device device, DataStream data, Int32 sizeInBytes, ResourceUsage usage, BindFlags bindFlags, CpuAccessFlags accessFlags, ResourceOptionFlags optionFlags, Int32 structureByteStride)
     at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Buffer..ctor(Device device, BufferDescription description)
     at FeralTic.DX11.Utils.BufferHelper.CreateStreamOutBuffer(DX11RenderContext context, Int32 vertexsize, Int32 maxelements, Boolean allowvbo, Boolean allowibo)
     at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.Layers.DX11StreamOutShaderNode.Update(DX11RenderContext context)

00:06:11  -  :    at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
     at SlimDX.Result.Record[T](Int32 hr, Boolean failed, Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
     at SlimDX.Direct3D11.Buffer.Build(Device device, DataStream data, Int32 sizeInBytes, ResourceUsage usage, BindFlags bindFlags, CpuAccessFlags accessFlags, ResourceOptionFlags optionFlags, Int32 structureByteStride)
     at FeralTic.DX11.Utils.BufferHelper.CreateStreamOutBuffer(DX11RenderContext context, Int32 vertexsize, Int32 maxelements, Boolean allowvbo, Boolean allowibo)
     at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.Layers.DX11StreamOutShaderNode.Update(DX11RenderContext context)
  00:06:11 ERR : Exception occured in TMPluginWrapperNode.Evaluate
  00:06:11 ERR : Attempted to divide by zero.
  00:06:11 ERR : Exception caused by node during update :/2833/307/4
  00:06:11 ERR : System.NullReferenceException in VVVV.DX11.Lib: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stacktrace:

00:06:11  -  :    at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.AbstractDX11LayerSpaceNode.Update(DX11RenderContext context)
  00:06:11 ERR : Exception caused by node during update :/2833/1038/137/14
  00:06:11 ERR : SlimDX.Direct3D11.Direct3D11Exception in SlimDX: E_INVALIDARG: An invalid parameter was passed to the returning function (-2147024809)

Stacktrace:
     at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)

00:06:11  -  :    at SlimDX.Result.Throw[T](Object dataKey, Object dataValue)
  00:06:11 ERR : Exception occured in TMPluginWrapperNode.Evaluate
  00:06:11 ERR : Attempted to divide by zero.
  00:06:12 ERR : Exception caused by node during update :/2833/307/4
  00:06:12 ERR : System.NullReferenceException in VVVV.DX11.Lib: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stacktrace:

00:06:12  -  : Stack Trace
  00:06:12  -  :    at VVVV.DX11.Nodes.AbstractDX11LayerSpaceNode.Update(DX11RenderContext context)
  00:06:12 ERR : Exception caused by node during update :/2833/307/4
  00:06:12 ERR : System.NullReferenceException in VVVV.DX11.Lib: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Stacktrace:

00:06:12  -  : Stack Trace

Just to confirm- is that with the most recent dropbox file above?

@everyoneishappy yes

for me the last file just works, even in a new node in a new patch. You’re not still using an older version of dx11 are you?

No, I am using the latest DX11 64 bit nodes from 25.06.2017. I am using vvvv 50beta35.2.

I will try it on another computer to see if it happens there as well.

well, I’ll probably leave at that unless can provide a patch that shows the issue. You might try a newer vvvv since the writer nodes are appearing a bit in the changelogs. I’m on 35.7, but also works with newer

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.