Crash on startup (on antiquated hardware) - System.Exception: Failed to create EGL context - 2021.4.6

I just installed gamma 2021.4.6 stable on a (very) old laptop (Dell XPS M1530, Core2Duo with 4GB RAM :D :D :D) running Windows10 which I just wanted to see if I can use it for receiving/sending some network data for a multiclient test setup and i realized it crash on start up. After showing the error twice, most parts of the workspace and help browser remain white.

Absolutely no urgent bug from my side and probably not really worth to have a look at if it’s about the outdated hardware, but anyway:

System.Exception: Failed to create EGL context
   at VL.Skia.Egl.EglContext.New(EglDisplay display, Int32 msaaSamples)
   at VL.Skia.RenderContext.New(EglDisplay display, Int32 msaaSamples)
   at VL.Skia.RenderContext.ForCurrentThread()
   at VL.Skia.SkiaGLControl.OnHandleCreated(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCreate(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

2021-4-6_xpsm1530_error_startup.txt.zip (7.1 KB)

the error hints at a graphics driver problem. so you could try to update the graphics driver and see if that makes a difference.

@benju could you try the patch with 2021.4.2 for me? I reported a related bug last week and I didn’t come across it with an earlier Gamma build

Well it’s the latest diver available for the nvidia Geforce 8600M GT which is from 2016 ;D
No updates from Nvidia anymore. This peace of hardware is from 2006/2007 or such, so I kind of understand I must admit.

I just tried it with 2021.4.2 with exactly the same error.

No vvvv gamma upgrade on the old shoe in that case.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.