ATI Eyefinity / DisplayPort

Your outputs are likely

• DVI-I (vga/dvi)
  • DVI-D (dvi only)
  • MiniDP
  • MiniDP
    Look closely at the back panel, there’s usually a cryptic annotation about this.

Since you only have 2 MiniDP’s there, it’s likely that you can use all options:

• VGA active
  • DVI single link active
  • DVI dual link active

Note that you don’t need to plug any devices into the TH2G for your computer to detect it as a monitor, so no need to plug anything into it if debugging catalyst’s recognition of the devices.

Since you are using VGA monitors, you should connect your 2xTH2G-D via VGA to the PC. I’d suggest trying this on the 2xMiniDP with 2xMiniDP-VGA adapters.

Your VGA<>DVI adapters are useful for 2 things only in your case:

• Connect VGA monitor to your DVI-I output
  • Connect VGA monitors to your TH2G-D’s outputs if you feed TH2G-D with vga inputs.

They cannot be used anywhere else (e.g. on your DVI-D, or on MiniDP->DVI adapters)

Hope this gets you started.

Elliot

aja! this really is interesting and can possibly explain a problem I had since I am connecting to one of the Matrox with analog and the other with DVI

This is a bi tmore cryptic and haven t I heard somewhere that only one DP to vga is possible in a eyefinity setup?

tx
S.

you may be confusing that you can only have a limited number of passive adapters
VGA adapters should all be active (read: are always active)

some (most) single link DVI adapters are passive
so depending on your card, you can only have a limited number of these attached and working
generally this is 2, but I wouldn’t count on it always

Why do yo usuggest connecting to the matrox via VGA like in

MiniDP-VGA-Matrox

instead of

MiniDP-DVI-Matrox ?

I have one of those Apple MiniDP to DVI adapter, is it active or passive ?

tx
S.

It seems to be a passive adaptor, but that should be enough for 2048x768…
???

On the Matrox TH2G-Digital you must use DVI input for DVI output, and VGA input for VGA output (you mentioned you were using VGA monitors for output).

Apple single link DVI is passive
I think single link should be enough for 2*XGA as described

Ah ok sorry, my bad

The 2 monitors should be separate monitors, apart from the Matrox.

Both Matrox go to 2 pairs of XGA projectors and they are cabled with DVI cables.

tx

S:

aha. then you want DVI, and then you must worry about using active adapters.
I use these with decent success (even over 15meter spans of cable)
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=startech+active+dvi&hl=en&prmd=imvns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1680&bih=949&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7139055523632788271&sa=X&ei=kMuFTqW4OMaa8QPd791L&ved=0CFEQ8wIwAA

oh
and totally check this out!
https://discourse.vvvv.org/

@soguko: regarding triplehead, i have used my digital edition with digial input and analogue output and the other way round several times without problems. Not sure if you meant that rhis is not possible.

-sunep

@soguko: regarding triplehead, i have used my digital edition with digial input and analogue output and the other way round several times without problems. Not sure if you meant that rhis is not possible.

-sunep

@sunep - my experience is only works same in as out
totally interesting to hear your experiences with this,
i’ll have to revisit!

Now, Soft Shadows on ATI, PS/VS version ?

@sogoku have you tried updating the firmware, matrox have updated the firmware several times over the past years and they behave a lot better now.

I almost always carry one to use as a converter if I end up needing it and because when having the matrox software installed, whatever connected to the GPU can only be set to ridiculous resolutions if no edid is present.

@sunep - aren’t the modes stored in non-volatile memory on the device?
If you set the modes through software then plugin elsewhere you get the same modes listed

noted on the firmware updates. they’ve been giving me confidence :)

One note (such a useless place to put it): I can send DVI signal longer distances from the StarTech active DVI adapters than out of Matrox TH2G

from my experience 10 meters is ok, 20 meters isn t

@io - to confirm, you mean 10meters ok/20meters bad = TH2G?

My experience was 15meters ok on Active DVI adapters but bad (down same signal cable) on a TH2G

I tried both active DVI adater and in built DVI and couldn t get the 10 meters DVI cable to work properly, it does work if you do some weird trickery, so that the GFX remembers the resolution.

That 25m single link dvi I mentioned before was out of a th2go btw

Only at xga though

Edid Emulator, a must have… it resolves any issue and can remember and force resolution!

My 0,5 cents
Cheers