Allow multiple VL editors

I’m sure there is a reason you can’t and I’m not sure whether I requested this before, but being able to open multiple windows in vvvv is really useful, and when I’ve used other node software, it frustrates when I can’t do it. When learning, and debugging, its really useful being able to look at one patch when making another and at the inside of a module as well as out side. Especially when they are separate VL documents, I’ve got 3 monitors, I like to be able to use them!

4 Likes

The more I use VL the more confusing the patch navigation becomes, its really not very user friendly, yes back forward like a browser, but I feel like the tabs should be per document (and have a separate editor window! hehe…)
Ok, Im learning and a lot of the tabs have similar names, as I try and construct similar but different functionality to demo patches, but I might as well just not use them and go to document root every time, its not clear which document they come from, the patches look similar (but are slightly different, see copying from one to the other)
Have a thought for those of us with out a dev to look over our shoulder!

Given how frustrating it is to try and patch something you’ve made in vvvv in vl, due changing terminologies, and paradimes, my worry is, that I will just get bored of struggling with VL, and just learn unity or unreal instead, I’ve already started, and its basically the same struggle as learning VL, ie learning an entirely new piece of software, only there is a lot more documentation. Please spend some time every week, doing, even short, one feature tutorials, along the lines of you know how you would do x, well try and do do it this way in VL, I know you want to finish some bling before node, but I will be walking away and questioning when I will be bothered to try and use VL again, after 3 hours of doing pretty much fuck all, I could be playing guitar instead!

Would an overview of all open documents/patches help you? Maybe something like a project explorer to navigate…?

And sure, multiple windows is of course planned…

agreed

absolutely, a project explorer is usually self explanatory and needed in VL

agreed. and the not yet realized idea here is to mark (somehow) always mark the tabs that belong to the active document. will let you know when this is to test in alphas…

I feel like there should be 2 rows of tabs, the top being document, and the 2nd being patches in that document for example

now in latest alphas two tweaks that should improve the problem of identifying tabs:

• the tooltip now includes the category of the patch
  • tabs of the same document are now all written in black with the active one underlined. grayed out are patches of other documents

a list of all other (than the active) documents that have open tabs is already available from the active-document menu. open it to see them listed at the bottom of the menu:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.