3D black faces Help!

Hey guys,

I’m working on a 3D model and I have some issues…I’ve tried lots of things but nothing worked…so I kindly ask for your advice…as you can see below I have a 3d model which inside of it there are some other parts that I would like to see them too.(this one is going for 3D print)…My issue is when I sliced it I can see the 3 extra models but there is another one bigger which was supposed to look grey like those but it’s not…it’s black as the whole surface inside and it’s not detectable by the software of the printer…

Moving further…If I change the settings at “back-face” from single to double (see the arrow in the pictures) it looks okay…but it’s not…if I save it (in any format) it looks like the previous picture…black…

From a research I did in the web…everyone says that its the faces and the need to flipped (I did that, but then the front side gets black and not detectable…) they also suggested to unify faces…did that too with no result…

So I kindly ask if you can take a look on the model…

I also tried 3ds max but nothing…

here is the link of the model: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49260563/1.STL

Regular solution would be to export each slice to obj and then import back (fixes and shows most errors). Then if you see black parts it’s maybe you have incorrect normals. There is flip when you edit faces in max… look for flip normals

Nothing!! wtf is wrong with this model?

It seems that nothing affects them…

ok this file imported finally…
i really not sure if you can print that, anyways first of you have to do vertex wield, since all the triangles are separated at the moment you won’t be able to fix anything
to do that:
Convert to editeble poly > Selection vertrx > Select all > Weld
the size of your object is really huge btw.
then you can do selection element and select groupws of the triangles

how ever it did broke it for me… Ok after bit of trial and error it did fixed it. But there is no backplate you have to fix it yourself… here try that file

https://yadi.sk/d/lQmrQcVj3ATtZq

Thanks antokhio…The original file was 2GB and I reduced it to 25 mb…Anyway I’m pretty sure I followed correct your instructions but I don’t see any difference…Here is the steps I followed:

Import the file you uploaded…

Conver to editable poly

Select all…

Press weld…

Is this what you meant?

i allready did that for that file ;] there is a quick-wield option when you import stl that worked like charm
anyways you can now select whole parts of objects and work with them…

also i’m not sure what happened to the backplate, and i don’t think it exists…
fixing this gonna be an utter pain

Oh…Ok!!

Backplate you mean the area at the back that is missing?

For sure it’s gonna be a pain to fix it…It should had a much more easier approach…

In Meshlab with the double option in Back - face it looks ok…why it’s not exporting it like that?

basically if you do Cap, it’s not gonna work, and result an incorrect mesh…
the only proper way to do this is to use bridge and connect edge by edge by hand for all the triangles…

i’m not sure why it is’t exported, but you may try to expot only the backplate and wield it after

I don’t want to close the gap…(fill the hole)

I already have this…

I removed that part to reveal the interior of the model…It should be like this…and when I revealed it I saw that it’s black and not readable…

this will be the option you have to turn on import, then you convert to Editable Poly, then Selection to Element, select element that is black, and there is a Flip option in Edit Elements to flip normals…

if you need more help after post it

ok the black changed and it’s normal…but I still had the same issue I had before… When I flip normals the other side goes black…

well, normals can face only one way whatever you do, and the way it should be is outside.
however your object consist of 4 elements, exterior and 3 interior caverns, so if you can’t select a single cavern then your welding went incorrect…
if you want to create a second side for your mesh so it has an huge chunk will have 2 sides, you can try shell modifier…

Fuck yeah!! That’s what I wanted!! Shell modifier!! perfect…Cheers antokhio!!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.