Spread Byte to Float 32 or Int in VVVV Gamma

Hello,

I take some data from maxMSP to VVVV but it comes as spread byte type. There is a similar thread in 2017 but it doesn’t work in my case. It is likely for beta version. I would appreciate if someone helps how I can convert this data type to integer or float which is the number which I want to take from Max.

insufficient detail
Have you tried to get the data? How exactly?
What does the data represent?
What problems did you encounter with the data?

I have a hunch that this might help you:

Thank you very much for your reply and I would like to clarify what I am searching for?

When I send an integer as max left hand side udp shows, VVVV takes it as it takes place at the left hand side of the VVVV patch. I take that number with “getSlice” method with an index of the bit in the “spread byte” type of data which is long node under the “S+H” node. The problem here, if the number sent from Max minus number, it doesn’t work.

As for the float data send from Max, I send “0.13” in this case and set the patch you kindly share with me,
after the “forEach” loop, I see numbers in a float and integer form, but it doesn’t represented as 0.13. This is the number which I want to take from Max.

I see there are three inputs in your “toFloat32” object, but when I create the same object, I see only one input on top of the object.

I appreciate a lot you deal with this question, thank you!

Best,
Oguzhan

Your struggle is more about computer science than understanding VVVV.

I’m not sure why you have so many bytes, but you should know that any kind of number can be represented by bytes. For example, Integer32, which even has a hint in its name, consists of 4 bytes (8 bits * 4 = 32 bits).

the same situation with floats

bytes_and_values.vl (23.1 KB)

Have you also tried to receive the values with the VL.IO.OSC package?

max’s udpsend docs are a bit cryptic about it but it seems indeed they may be sending OSC under the hood. so you might be successful following this video:

2 Likes

It looks like udpsend itself is OSC

This probably explains why there are extra bytes in the message

I have no problem receiving values from max. it’s send as osc.
just remember to prepend the osc address to the message in max.

Hi all, I have a little break for the work made me asking this question. When I return back to it, I will certainly use these tips and if any need I follow up, thanks a lot.

Best,