Navigating a patch with Space and left mouse button

Not doing anything though using the trackpad of my laptop (MacBook Pro 2018 running Gamma via Bootcamp). Is this working on other laptops?

I am using a Macbook Pro as well, maybe two years younger. I realized that it sometimes works, sometimes not until I figured I need to start the drag in the middle of the trackpad. The lower left and the lower right corners act differently, either because it’s a hardware issue or because the driver just allows clicks and no drags from those areas.

In my case not even in those areas I got it working. Then I had a look into the trackpad settings of Windows - when setting the sensitivity to “Most sensitive” it works from all areas on the trackpad.

1 Like

Coming back to this after using previews for patching for a while. It seems I have been using space all along (and not ctrl). Imho the new shortcut is very peculiar when it comes to the sequence things have to be triggered and I find myself dragging around the patch more often than moving the nodes like I intended. I’d really appreciate if it could be disabled via settings.

Is anyone else having problems with this? I’d LOVE to not have every little thing covered by a setting. I’d rather revert to the old behavior if this behavior hinders people in their daily patching.

Makes me wonder how many people are using previews as their “daily driver”.

Didn’t you in a recent preview make frames also be selectable even if Space is not pressed? So that interaction is gone now.

Right now it seems to me pressing Space has two meanings:

1. Pan the patch when dragging in an empty area,
  2. Snap into a region when moving a node.

Both make total sense to me. And before the change I could not really patch at all on a trackpad.

P.S.: The feature of panning the patch using Space would also fit with this feature request: Moving the patch while having a link on the mouse

and also “snap out”. And this has become super finicky now.

I would revert. It is quite an annoyance at the moment.

I vote Revert

i’ve been using it.
not a gamma poweruser atm though. maybe thats why it comes ‘natural’ since many other tools do it this way.

if space + drag is indeed a standard in other tools, it makes sense to have it too.

1 Like

hello,

can we PLEASE have the old behavior for frame-selection back?
It annoys me terribly that one cannot select some nodes without the frame behind it.
Imho frames are unusable when they don’t sit silent in the background.

I think the original behavior was perfect:
selection rectangle selects only nodes by default, when holding space (or any other modifier, i don’t mind) while selecting, it selects everything which includes frames.

5 Likes

I 'd really like to have user configurable shortcuts / keybindings. Basically every other “professional” tool / editor has that option. Just some examples:

2 Likes

I learnt generally by accident that the spacebar button performs so many cool functions. We have a situation where different UX is accumulated randomly.

For example, I think the Force Connection feature on the spacebar is very underrated. It’s very handy.

But in this case, I’ve used the spacebar move, but never used “exclude / include frames”.

@sebl Can you describe what the core issue is?
Why it’s important and what scenario you’re talking about?
I tried to select something on the worksheet and it used to be that the contents of the frames were “avoided” before the selection?

it’s just hard to select nodes only when there’s a frame behind them. most of the time i want to select nodes only.

2 Likes

slightly related to @sebl comment about difficulty highlighting nodes when a frame is behind them.
I think a margin around the nodes would be nice. I always resize the frame so there is a bit of space, especially upwards so there is room for the name of the frame.

1 Like

This thread has become kind of controversial… I would like to propose a compromise.

• Remove Space from snapping into/out of regions - exclusively use Ctrl for this
  • Revert to ignoring frames and links when selecting nodes
  • Assign Ctrl to selecting frames and links

Like this Space could stay as a modifier for moving the canvas, without getting in the way of other known interactions… and Ctrl basically becomes the new Space. What say you?

1 Like

I never used Space for panning the canvas, never liked it in other tools.
I come from 3D software mostly, I think this is more a thing for 2D apps.
So right-mouse (or better: pen) -button dragging exclusively for this function here, no shortcut needed at all. :-)

I used Space for moving nodes in and out of regions without issues so far, but could relearn it with CTRL.
Doesn’t matter to me.

Ignoring frames by default would be VERY high on my list - I simple don’t use them at all as they are now, since they are more annoying and in the way than helpful when getting constantly selected by accident. Especially the huge invisible top area is annoying as f_ck right now.
I don’t care what shortcut it would be to select them.
CTRL would be fine with me.

In the long run it always comes down to user-defined shortcuts…
It depends so much on what other software you are using besides VVVV, there is no one standard there…

And then there is TAB to open the node browser (sorry, my personal Nr. 1 pet peeve. ;-) ).

In the latest previews

• The SPACE panning feature is disabled by default
  • Selecting Frames again works as before as requested by many of you

For those who’d like to pan with SPACE:

• enable the setting “Press SPACE to pan”
  • try to train your muscle memory and use CTRL for dragging nodes in and out of regions. This way you don’t have to remember to only press the modifier key after starting the drag
  • Or actually do both panning and force-dragging with SPACE. For this workflow, you now get a bit of feedback: The “Hand” mouse cursor shows you that you are about to start panning. This is when you press it before starting the drag gesture.

Sorry for the in-between regressions.

2 Likes

Hey Greg,

this is really a good first step, but just to illustrate one of the the issues I am still having with the regions (203):

RegionGamma

I try to drag out a selection, but inadvertently move the region by the huge invisible top area.

For me, the regions are more like a desktop background image, something I only want to change very rarely and very specifically and that should never interfere with anything else I may do on the “desktop”.

I still feel that needing a shortcut like STRG or even a combination of keys that is rarely used otherwise would fit the best. For ANY interaction with the region.
I just don’t want to have to think about them at all, other than when I very specifically want to interact with them.

Just my personal POV of course ;-)

Cheers and thank you!

Tom