Kinect -> Orbbec: The Femto Family

You may have heard that Microsoft is winding up its production of Kinects and that the responsibility for the tech is getting handed over to Orbbec. No? Read here:

Orbbec make a series of time-of-flight cameras and I was wondering if anyone’s had a chance to play with one.
The SDK can be seen at the bottom, but on 2nd viewing its a bit confusing → can we use a Kinect with the Orbbec SDK or can I use an Orbbec with Azure Kinect wrappers? Does this mean we need another Nuget?

H

2 Likes

Came here to basically ask the same question… has anybody made experiences yet with the Orbbec Femto Bolt camera, is there support for it already?

The camera is compatible with the Orbbec SDK for both Windows and Linux. This SDK also features an Azure Kinect Sensor SDK Wrapper, allowing software developed for the Azure Kinect development kit to be compatible with Orbbec cameras.

So I’d say yes one would work for both but that that orbbec one will need updating. Someone with an azure could check it out.

1 Like

Hmm, it not going to be as simple as that.
The VL.Azure Kinect nuget uses K4A. When I tried switching it with the Orbbec version, Gamma crashed.

I cloned the VL.Azure Kinect repo to see if it would be as easy as pointing to the right dll, or changing the names of the functions in CSharp. In fact I think this needs to be recompiled to use with Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor, which is a .net wrapper.

Then the Orbbec K4A can be used as a native dependency, and probably with Azure Kinect Body.

If the project were being developed in c++ the only requirement would be to swap out the k4a files

1 Like

can you explain in detail what exactly you did there?

what makes you think so?

If you have the device (Bolt or Mega), it will use a standard UVC protocol so it shouldn’t require additional drivers. Check the hardware is working by downloading the Orbbec Viewer. You may ave to try a few different cables and usb ports.

Download the compiled binaries from Orbbec’s K4A repo. Unzip it and in the bin folder you’ll see these files
You can check that these work by running k4aviewer.exe which should show the sensor running

(While using Gamma preview 0253) install VL.Azure>Kinect Nuget.

Go to the C:\Users\Igor\AppData\Local\vvvv\gamma-preview\nugets\VL.Devices.AzureKinect.1.4.1\runtimes\win-x64\native folder

and replace the depthengine_2_0.dll, k4a.dll and the k4arecord.dll files with those of the Orbbec ones downloaded.

Try to open a patch

Analysis from Windbg:

*                        Exception Analysis                                   *

*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for C:\Program Files\vvvv\vvvv_gamma_5.3-0253-g8ddcaf050d\package-cache\VL.CoreLib_HDE_Plugin.2023.5.3-0253-g8ddcaf050d\VL.CoreLib.HDE.vl.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for C:\Program Files\vvvv\vvvv_gamma_5.3-0253-g8ddcaf050d\vvvv.exe
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for C:\Program Files\vvvv\vvvv_gamma_5.3-0253-g8ddcaf050d\VL.AppServices.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for C:\Program Files\vvvv\vvvv_gamma_5.3-0253-g8ddcaf050d\packs\dependencies\Stride.Core.IO.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for C:\Program Files\vvvv\vvvv_gamma_5.3-0253-g8ddcaf050d\Stride.Core.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for C:\Users\Igor\AppData\Local\vvvv\gamma-preview\nugets\VL.Devices.AzureKinect.1.4.1\runtimes\win-x64\native\OrbbecSDK.dll

KEY_VALUES_STRING: 1

Key  : Analysis.CPU.mSec
    Value: 9530

Key  : Analysis.Elapsed.mSec
    Value: 15649

Key  : Analysis.IO.Other.Mb
    Value: 0

Key  : Analysis.IO.Read.Mb
    Value: 3

Key  : Analysis.IO.Write.Mb
    Value: 4

Key  : Analysis.Init.CPU.mSec
    Value: 18265

Key  : Analysis.Init.Elapsed.mSec
    Value: 147870

Key  : Analysis.Memory.CommitPeak.Mb
    Value: 16516

Key  : CLR.Engine
    Value: CORECLR

Key  : CLR.Version
    Value: 6.0.1122.52304

Key  : Failure.Bucket
    Value: HEAP_CORRUPTION_ACTIONABLE_BlockNotBusy_DOUBLE_FREE_80000003_ntdll.dll!RtlpFreeHeapInternal

Key  : Failure.Hash
    Value: {3cadf81c-0091-a5b2-56fb-a31043faa9c9}

Key  : Timeline.OS.Boot.DeltaSec
    Value: 320429

Key  : Timeline.Process.Start.DeltaSec
    Value: 191

Key  : WER.OS.Branch
    Value: vb_release

Key  : WER.OS.Version
    Value: 10.0.19041.1

Key  : WER.Process.Version
    Value: 2023.5.3.0

NTGLOBALFLAG:  0

PROCESS_BAM_CURRENT_THROTTLED: 0

PROCESS_BAM_PREVIOUS_THROTTLED: 0

APPLICATION_VERIFIER_FLAGS:  0

EXCEPTION_RECORD:  (.exr -1)
ExceptionAddress: 00007fffe27af202 (ntdll!RtlReportCriticalFailure+0x0000000000000056)
   ExceptionCode: 80000003 (Break instruction exception)
  ExceptionFlags: 00000000
NumberParameters: 1
   Parameter[0]: 0000000000000000

FAULTING_THREAD:  00003a08

PROCESS_NAME:  vvvv.exe

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0x80000003 - {EXCEPTION}  Breakpoint  A breakpoint has been reached.

EXCEPTION_CODE_STR:  80000003

EXCEPTION_PARAMETER1:  0000000000000000

ADDITIONAL_DEBUG_TEXT:  Followup set based on attribute [Heap_Error_Type] from Frame:[0] on thread:[PSEUDO_THREAD] ; Followup set based on attribute [Is_ChosenCrashFollowupThread] from Frame:[0] on thread:[PSEUDO_THREAD]

STACK_TEXT:  
00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 ntdll!RtlpFreeHeapInternal+0x0

STACK_COMMAND:  !heap ; ** Pseudo Context ** ManagedPseudo ** Value: ffffffff ** ; kb

SYMBOL_NAME:  ntdll!RtlpFreeHeapInternal+0

MODULE_NAME: ntdll

IMAGE_NAME:  ntdll.dll

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  HEAP_CORRUPTION_ACTIONABLE_BlockNotBusy_DOUBLE_FREE_80000003_ntdll.dll!RtlpFreeHeapInternal

OS_VERSION:  10.0.19041.1

BUILDLAB_STR:  vb_release

OSPLATFORM_TYPE:  x64

OSNAME:  Windows 10

IMAGE_VERSION:  10.0.19041.3570

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {3cadf81c-0091-a5b2-56fb-a31043faa9c9}

Followup:     MachineOwner
---------

I’m complete ignorant to what any of it means.

two things:

• before you replaced the .dlls have you tested that the installed VL.Devices.AzureKinect nuget works correctly with an actual AzureKinect on your system?
  • the original AzureKinect sdk comes with a k4aviewer.exe. have you tried running this one with the replaced .dlls?

Yes, its works fine.

Replacing just the k4a.dll, and k4arecord.dll and .pdb’s (+ OrbbecSDK.dll and depthengine_2_0.dll) worked successfully with the Azure Kinect Viewer.

Okay, an update.

I rebuilt the k4a from scratch using Orbbec’s repo. Which should produce a dll compatible with vl.and Femtos. However:

Error time -Femto Vl Kinect:        EmitException: "error CS1705: Assembly 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor.Record' with identity 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor.Record, Version=1.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f6471c4ba98fac7' uses 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor, Version=1.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f6471c4ba98fac7' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor' with identity 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f6471c4ba98fac7'"
            StackTrace:
                VL.Lang.Packages.PackageCompiler+<CompileCoreAsync>d__31 { private virtual void MoveNext() { ... } } 
                System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo { public void Throw() { ... } } 
                System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter { private static void ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) { ... } } 
                System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter { private static void HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) { ... } } 
                System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1 { public TResult GetResult() { ... } } 
                VL.Lang.Packages.PackageCompiler+<CompileAsync>d__29 { private virtual void MoveNext() { ... } } 
                System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo { public void Throw() { ... } } 
                System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter { private static void ThrowForNonSuccess(System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) { ... } } 
                System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter { private static void HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task task) { ... } } 
                VL.Lang.Packages.PackageCompiler+<CompilePackagesAsync>d__28 { private virtual void MoveNext() { ... } } 
                VL.Model.Internal.Solution+<RestoreAsync>d__14 { private virtual void MoveNext() { ... } } 
                System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter`1 { public TResult GetResult() { ... } } 
                VL.Model.Internal.Solution+<LoadDocumentAsync>d__11 { private virtual void MoveNext() { ... } } 
                VL.Model.Solution+<LoadDocumentAsync>d__53 { private virtual void MoveNext() { ... } } 
                VL.HDE.PatchEditor.NavigationMenuProvider+<DoOpenDocumentsAsync>d__44 { private virtual void MoveNext() { ... } } 

AggregateException: "One or more errors occurred. (error CS1705: Assembly 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor.Record' with identity 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor.Record, Version=1.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f6471c4ba98fac7' uses 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor, Version=1.4.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f6471c4ba98fac7' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor' with identity 'Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=6f6471c4ba98fac7')"
    InnerExceptions: "1"
    StackTrace:
        VL.HDE.PatchEditor.NavigationMenuProvider+<DoOpenDocumentsAsync>d__44 { private virtual void MoveNext() { ... } } 
        VL.Model.VLSession+<>c__DisplayClass186_0+<<RunAndForget>b__0>d { private virtual void MoveNext() { ... } } 

I don’t have a crash, but I get this, and Azure.Kinect patches won’t open. So I think there are a couple of gotchas:

1. The vl.azure.kinect has a wrapper to handle the kinect-data → vl image gracefully, and its compiled against the Microsoft version of k4v, so I can’t get it working from the Nuget alone.
  2. Also vl.azure.kinect uses a different build from the official build which enables the .mkv recording. Not sure, but I think I need to add that project to the orbbec solution to compile it so it can be used with vl.

another sanity check: instead of replacing files in the nugets runtimes\win-x64\native try removing them there and putting the new ones, including the additional OrbbecSDK.dll, next to vvvv.exe

but also indeed, for the c# wrapper we’re using the custom build mentioned here to get support for the recorder. though this shouldn’t interfere as this didn’t change the native binaries.

@joreg the “PlaybackExtensions” uses Microsoft.Azure.Kinect.Sensor.Record

have you tried this?

not sure what you’re referring to here!?

Yes short answer it goes bang.

Long answer, I pasted them in after a clean install while running an example. It showed some device info, but no pictures came through. When I closed that project and ran another Gamma crashed silently.

(Edit:)
Further
and…

I don’t have colour or a point cloud yet, but something seems to be working.

Trying to compile the Orbbec k4a.dll against the ValdPerrformance version, and it complains about version.cs being missing. I’ll look again in the morning.

2 Likes