It seems that the new fuzzy search is not working properly

To make a long story short, I noticed a long time ago that the search doesn’t work very well and misses a lot of relevant results. And now I came across a concrete example.

I think you need to make search “like in beta”. The search in Beta was so good that I think half of the success of VVVV was based on that.

Any manipulation of the intelligent option in the gamma config doesn’t help.

5.3-118

Screenshots

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with your observation. In my opinion the way you search for nodes and the information shown for them still needs a bit of UX improvement. A made a related feature request a while ago: Naming of nodes for basic data types

I think the the VL Editor should:

1. Have a very good fuzzy search like you mention. Especially when there are very little results it should always show the closest results. Things like your example should never happen.

1b. The search should remember what I have placed and give higher priority to those nodes. The more often I have placed it, the higher it should show up in search, because I am more likely to want to place that. This would be especially helpful for Nodes that are very similar to others.

1. Show relevant information for a node in the Nodebrowser before I place it and also once I have placed it, it should clearly show where in the hierarchy of nodes it came from, so I can check out other nodes that live “next” to one I have placed

2. The editor should allow me to search for any node in my documents in various levels - in the currently open patch, in all open patches, in the document, in all documents that are linked through dependencies, etc.

3. Let me click any node and take me to the Definition page of that node. Currently I can only go to the contents of a Node, but often I want to go to where a node is defined, so I can duplicate it, etc.

Through my experience of using gamma extensively on very large projects I feel like the main drawback of the Editor is Findability. So this would be finding stuff to place using the Node Browser as well as finding things you have already placed.

Things are getting there with the new Inspektor and Error window, which is starting to be pretty good, but again also needs to always take me somewhere. Currently it will only take you to errors in a patch, but not errors in Definitions.

Looking forward to any improvements in Findability!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! We have this on our review list.

2 Likes

another example of the same issue
new search behaves less predictable than before to be honest
I’m always thinking is node doesn’t exists or is the search hiding it for me?

2 Likes

another interesting case
this one is literally hiding the results from me
there are also a bunch the same hided results

noticed it too. and given it needs to search for interfaces only makes it even more strange. btw. if you type case sensitive it will find things immediately for some reason.

We disabled fuzzy search for now (upcoming build). We’ll give this another shot later after making sure that we integrated some more intelligence that was present in the beta node browser. We’ll give a heads up when there is more to test.

5 Likes