Doubleclick on link seems to show non-intelligent filtered results

Hey,

another of those rather constant irritators:
When I doubleclick on links, it is in 90% of the cases to insert a “*” multiply node or something similar to scale a value or add something to it etc.
And in that case, I do not get correctly pre-filtered results.
Since I often work with FUSE, I have to be very careful to select the “right” nodes instead of the node browser directly offering the fitting component for a given connection - which in theory should be actually simpler, since both in and output are known.

This is a connection between two FUSE nodes:

LinkDoubleclickNodebrowser

The standard multiply node is offered although it does not work in this scenario, with Fuse Shader Node types coming in and going out. When I drag out links from either of the two connected links, it works correctly.

This is just one example but it also happens in many other cases.
Overall it feels like the intelligent node filtering doesn’t work as well or not at all when doubleclicking on existing links as compared to dragging out a link from a pin.
Like I get offered a “*” multiply between two reactive Midi nodes where it does not work, but not when I drag out a link from any of the two connected links:

LinkDoubleclickNodebrowser2

^^^ First I doubleclick on the connection/link, sorry that isn’t clearly visible.

I just used “*” as an example here, but this also applies for many other node types.

This makes the in theory very nice option to double click on a link and insert a node way less helpful than it could be and I find my self often not using it, since it makes finding the right node much harder.

For me as a beginner, wading through what feels like thousands of nodes that may or may not be usable in a given situation is a huge part of what makes VVVV a hard nut to crack. So the intelligent node filtering is rather substantial in many cases, to find viable routes to a given result.
So it’s not just an inconvenience or a “know your nodes” situation, but often a rather critical element in learning VVVV and finding possible solutions.

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. This was with version 179 and every 5.3 and 6.x version before that I used.

I just saw the announcement from gregsn on matrix.org and will check if anything has changed in this regard in 196.
Edit: Hm, seems not, so the above still stands if I’m not missing something…?

This was pretty much fitting into the recently touched topics. So got lucky! :) It’s fixed with 6.0-203. Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Wow, quickest fix ever! :-)

Thank you so much, this will make life (and patching) a lot easier and smoother.

Cheers,

Tom