Can I embed vvvv gamma projects in a web app?

Hi there,

I’m an architectural designer, but as a side project in our studio, we’re creating digital memorials based on audio-visual data from someone’s life. I’d like to make the form generative and interactive based on the data you upload and how you move in 3D. Is this possible in VVVV? Can we embed that program into a web app? Is their AR support? Sorry in advance if I’m asking the wrong questions.

Thanks!

welcome to vvvv!

some answers in short form:

as vague as this description is i’d say yes, this would be doable.

no.

see Augmented Reality (AR) | vvvv gamma documentation

Thank you! This is a helpful start. Clearly, I have to do some more research. Thanks!

@aidannewsome how about cables?
I thinks https://undev.studio/ made with cables

1 Like

We are currently working on a proof-of-concept if and how well a vvvv exported .exe can run in a cloud computing environment, similar to how you can run and play games using services like GeforceNow and many others with surprisingly low latency.

In theory it should work with any Windows executable running DirectX11 or 12. The interactive stream can them be embedded on a website. Of course this is a paid service, where you pay per instance.

We will report back our findings as soon as we have something to show.

In the meantime, I agree that Cables is probably your safer bet, unless you are really using and relying on some of the more advanced vvvv libraries like in our case.

6 Likes

AR is pain in the butt big time in web, i’ve would go for React Three Fiber Documentation but i’m currently have struggle to integrate it with 8th wall, basic stuff works advanced - sorry.

There is my pipeline to have marker tracking with r3f, GitHub - antokhio/react-three-jsartoolkitnft but it’s outdated and you can’t use it as npm package you are going to need to copy code ti your project

Basically r3f or cables are the most flexible 3d but there is like 0 zero AR frameworks support them properly, i think there is r3f examples with zapar but dunno if complex r3f shaders, 8th wall + r3f is dead end, it works but no complex stuff… there is also blippar i think

@yar this seems to be the best answer so far. Thank you!

1 Like

@seltzdesign this makes sense to me except that I’m trying to use WebXR or some sort of AR tool to render the output. I’d love to hear how your experiments go and to keep in touch. It sounds like we have similar backgrounds working for architects.

So, to quickly update everyone who was wondering if streaming an exported .exe would work - it does! We have a monster of a patch, which uses Stride, Skia, Fuse, RCP and tons of other libraries and the .exe works pretty flawlessly. The streaming latency is incredibly low for mouse inputs.

We used 3D Streaming Software | GORILLA STREAMING, a company from Munich, who were super helpful in setting up a trial.

More tests - with some video recordings of it working - coming soon.

4 Likes

Interesting! Could you maybe share a test link to a fuse helppatch maybe? Orbit camera should suffice for checking latency.

What also very interests me is how you can buy and scale performance.
Do they rent whole machines or can I buy virtual machines with the performance scaled perfectly to my application demands?

I will answer this all more thoroughly as soon as I know. As for what exactly you are getting… It’s an instance of a Cloud Computer (Google Cloud or Azure). They use instances with a lot of graphics power to run basically games (although that is not their core business). But most of the software they run on the instances is built in Unity or Unreal Engine. You can get one that can scale up instances automatically.

For our initial test we literally just had 1 instance.

What they provide is basically the whole setup, installation and running. They also provide a client on a website or I believe there is also a software client for streaming to.

They use it a lot for PoS (point of sale) systems. For example they provide streaming for a bunch of big car companies where they have Configurators built in Unreal Engine. Then they provide access to those either on the website (meaning this will be one of those installations where it scales the instances automatically) and sometimes they just have it for the car showrooms and then they have more fixed number of instances (ie. 1 instance per showroom).

You can check one example here. It also gives you an idea of latency… or lack thereof: http://virtualexp.pagani.com/ It is built in Unreal Engine.

What that means for concrete pricing I will again let you know as soon as I know more. We literally just had contact with them, they were quite up for trying it out and then they gave us a Trial access to 1 instance. That was right before my holidays, so I have not had time to test extensively.

What I also don’t know yet is how much you can do yourself, vs. they do it. For example they “installed” the .exe we gave them for us. So I am not sure how much we could also do ourselves for example during testing, where you might regularly want to update the .exe.

More soon…