Writer question

I want to make a setup where a user can sit down, press a button, which starts a recording which is then put in a directory from which a second machine then selects a recording and plays it onto a screen.

Now I’ve got the recording and writing of the avi working but I’ve got a couple of questions:

• How do I append the filename so that it keeps adding a number to the end of the name, so that new recordings don’t overwrite old ones.
  • What codec does the writer use if any, and is it possible to change this?

If it’s not possible to change the codec,is there a workaround? I want to take the recordings, recode them to a different codec so that the HD doesn’t fill up as fast.

there is Compress (Dshow9) for this. i have a good file handling patch for you, i use it for a state saver in an vj tool, you can modify it for your needs:

LoadAndSaveState.v4p (14.3 kB)

Thanks alot, your patch was very helpful, I took bits and pieces from it and came up with a recording patch that changes the filename with each recording. Not only did it help me generate dynamic filenames it also cleared up some other stuff I was wondering about, so again thanks!

Now I have a couple of new problems, the video I record is variable in quality, one time its good, the other super fast, the other time really slow. Is it because I’m putting the video from the renderer to a texture to the writer?

Also, how do set the properties of the codec I’m using? It looks like the property page pin is for doing that, but it doesn’t do anything.

And it gives an error when I resize the renderer to 720x540 but I want to write the fullscreen video, how do I do this?

I’ve included my patch and I’m using a simple dvcam to capture from.

Sorry about all the questions, but I’m still starting out with vvvv so your help is very much appreciated.

RecordVideos.v4p (12.0 kB)