Writer example

Hi, I wanted to save the renderer output as jpg files and then turn into video but so far i failed using writer(ex9). Can someone help me with a basic example than can help me to carry on?

Writer (NRT) non real time, select a folder to save the image sequence to, and you should be fine

1 Like

wow, that was easy :D why can’t I connect the normal writer(ex9) to the renderer? what is the use or difference of it?

It needs a DX9Texture node. Create a Writer NRT, right click on it, and you’ll see the culprit there.

1 Like

Thank you a lot, still learning :)

You’ll find learning resources if, with no node selected, you hit F1, then look for girlpower and click on the small open tab.

Another way is hitting F1 after selecting a node; another is to right click on modules, and then trying to understand what’s happening in there.

1 Like

If you want to record video, I would recommend using a hardware screen recorder like the Elgato Gaming HD60 (which we are using to record vvvv output). It records HDMI Output in Full HD at 60 fps, so all you need is a Graphics Card with HDMI Out and the Elgato Card (and a HDMI Splitter comes in handy if you want to see the output and record at the same time). It comes with a really nice UI for recording and in our experience is much more reliable and with almost no overhead. You can even do the recording on another computer (we use a Mac for it) if you want absolutely zero impact on performance on the vvvv machine.

Works perfectly and costs relatively little when compared to the ease of use and perfect results. It also records the audio, which is an added bonus.

1 Like

this writer can save textures async. depending on your hardware this can be superquick and won’t produce that much encoding artefacts.

in case you have a biiiiig texture you can split it up into chunks and save them with the parallel version on different ssd drives.

a version suitable for 35.8 and latest dx11 can be compiled with those sources.

e: https://vvvv.org/contribution/readback-dx11 is now updated. note 1 issue: ‘Zomby Survival Age’ Pin is out of order.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.