What laptop do you use ? shoud i get a Macbook pro 2011?

Well, my old Dell inspiron just died, seems to be the internal power supply, so i send it to repaid but i have to wait to get a price… and im sure that they will kill me with that number…

and for a long time im verry impress with mac hardware, im not sure about the operating system because i really never use a mac for a long time to make a desicion here, so this is not a pc vs mac thread

my question is, does vvvv works 100% fine on a macbook pro 2011 17 inch ?
i mean, if im booting windows seven, i get that hardware power without any limitacion ? i work with vegas,3dsmax,adobe suite, and all that without any problems ? can i use my kinect there with the vvvv plugins and can i use a matrox 3head by mini dysplay port ? what about the firewire cameras or the tv tunner cards… ?

i was verry suprise when i saw the video of the NODE10 and so many apple logos there… Resolume 3 its already on mac, i know that vvvv its not planing of moving because of directx, but the design of the hardware its beautiful, what are the limitations of mac vs pc ( in the vvvv world ) ?

( i need to admit it, apple knows about design! )

i have an asus ROG ( republic of gamers ) g53jw 15,6 inch with an i7 and a NVIDIA 460M. keyboard is lighted alos
it works really good anf quick and powerfull for a reasonnale price : 1100 euros.

i have just 2 things that are anoying me:
no express card slot
no ssd hard drive

but for the rest i m very happy of it.

if you want it for windows, i dont understand, despite design and beauty of the object, why considering to pay A LOT ? i mean to have equivalent its around 2500 euros !

apple also knows about making you pay lots for adapters e.g. just to connect an external monitor. those are expensive and still not reliable; i’ve seen a lot of those broken.

i can’t answer that questions but i assume that maybe at some point you could experience problems.

A lot of VVVV-Users seem to be confident with their Apples; but if your main Intention is running vvvv and Windows i’d like to say, another machine could be the better choice.

i’ve got a MSI GT680 and it runs vvvv really really nicely. Also has 120gb SSD drive & 500 gb SATAII.

the gx780 is out soon (don’t know when) but that has the nvidia m555 card which would be nice.

my MSI GT627 is meanwhile 2 years old and i am still confident and don’t see any needs to upgrade.

yes but have you seen the glowing LEDs on the 680?

well, these should make up for that…

http://awaregeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/usb_xmas_tree.jpg

i personally find thinkpads to be a good compromise of power/portability, but the gpus are not really comparable to the bulkier desktop replacements primarily aimed at gamers.

If on a budget… Dell XPS 15 << most bang for the buck.

next week i will test a macbook with seven and a matrox dualview,

here in arg apple its expensive like in usa/europe, but the other brands like msi,toshiba,dell, ect its almost the same price, that why in a mater of price i dont see a huge difference… but i need to test it to be 100% sure that this will work… and i have the full waranty. If not, i need to send a carrier to buy it on the us, i have like 30% over the original price, and no warany/support at all.

i will check again dell and msi, i need 15/17 @ 1680x1050/full hd ,

the dell xps 15 seems a good option

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz edit
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB graphics with Optimus edit
MEMORY 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
HD DISPLAY 15.6 FHD B+RGLED TL (1920x1080) and Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) edit
WIRELESS + BLUETOOTH Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000 edit
BATTERY OPTIONS 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery edit
SOUND OPTIONS JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3

1,304.99Uss

since i have a vaio Z with SSD, i would never ever go back to mechanic drives. they are last generation and for me just good for storage. you can have the most fat power machine, but the bottleneck which decides how responsive the overall system experience is, is the hard disk. so go for SSD, thats more important than the cpu, really!

I have a desktop with 3 SSD’s and a laptop with just a normal HDD. I wouldn’t say that the desktop is sooo much better than the laptop that it would be worth spending an extra $1000 + on a laptop with SSD.

… but for editing video on my laptop I use a small external SSD hooked up via USB 3.0.

then you’r using your pc different than me, all explorer clicks, program starts, os starts, copies, unzips and so on are hd tasks and they are about 10 times faster… as it feels to me… but maybe i just have a really good ssd ;)

You’re right, how you use your computer is definitely going to determine what components matter to you…

“all explorer clicks, program starts, os starts, copies, unzips” << Very little of my time is spent doing this stuff.

… and yes your ssd is prolly better than mine.

vjc4,

If you are considering the XPS 15, then you might want to read this first:

There are some well-known issues with the USB 3.0 on the XPS 15 that Dell is unlikely to ever fix (although they keep saying they are working on it). However, I am using a Keydex external USB 3.0 enclosure with no problems (yet) (although I had to buy a new USB 3.0 cable because these enclosures ship with a defective usb 3.0 cord (also a well-known problem)). Too summarize that link, the USB 3.0 ports on the xps15 do not play well with a lot of usb 3.0 components. Usually the problem is that after some period of time the device disconnects and the only way to reconnect it is to restart the computer.

asus g53jw is running fine its usb3 port, i haven tried yet with a black magic shuttle to aquire hdmi

If you can have it sent from the US http://www.system76.com/
if you can have it sent from Spain http://www.mountain.es/epages/Mountain.sf/es_ES/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store.Mountain/Categories/PORTABLEWS

great prices there io , do you own one of those ?
i never heard of them, its like msi/dell regardin quality?

my budget its about 1800uss

does this worth it ?

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video Memory
Nvidia GeForce GTX 470M Graphics with 1.5GB GDDR5 Video Memory ( +$130.00 )

and

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2630QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.00GHz )
2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2720QM Processor ( 6MB L3 Cache, 2.20GHz) ( +$160.00 ) ?

for sure i will go with a
80 GB Intel 320 Series SATA II 3 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive
for the system and main files, and an additional 500gb for storage

i think that the decision of 15.6" vs 17" its kind of personal, but i guess i will go with 17"… too much pixels for 15 :P

any other advice ?
does msi/dell offer something similar in spec/price/quality ?

Hi
I don t own one but I am going to get one soon, a 15,6 inches Mountain laptop. I did my homework and was in contact with the people at Mountain, the case is a Clevo case, used on many high spec systems, System76 is a well reputed company selling Ubuntu based machines for many years, i am pretty sure you can t get anything better for that price…

io i was cheking the website of system76 and it only provides suppoort for windows seven 64b ( drivers for mother chipset lan audio ect ) , but i wast able to find it, im a litle bit concern about that…
are you 100% sure that i can use the badaboom professional witout any drivers problems ? ( i will be using a matrox 3h2g, kinect, ect )

my second option is alienware mx17 3d … my budget is 2000uss, any other recomendations ?

sorry,to enter this topic, but are you using badaboom to broadcast sources live ? or just to transcode before diffusion ?