Vvvv for Linux?

i guess a lot of people are NOT using vvvv because it is win only.

(btw, are the dates in this thread correct? started back in 06?)

And i guess a lot of people are not using modul8, because it is mac only.

I have the 2 OS.
maybe with windows seven they want to use windows ;)

• maybe with windows seven they want to use windows ;)

windows 7 is the same shit as vista.

hhm?
my new laptop came with vista.
after 2 hours i decided to install the release candidate of 7.
using 7 since a month now and canā€™t complain at all.

well, just my 0.02 centsā€¦

yesterday i installed a virtualmachine (virtualbox) with XP on my ubuntu64, vvvv runs, the shmops demopatch runs smoothly, i got hardware acceleration.
now i will have to test more, see how much performance i loseā€¦
at least i can use it for quick patching without having to reboot and start windowsā€¦

(btw is there a good benchmark patch for vvvv? would be nice to have a ā€œ4vmark09ā€ to assess performance of computer systems with regard to vvvv, with score etc - would be useful before buying computers etc)

hullo.

yesterday i installed a virtualmachine (virtualbox) with XP on my ubuntu64, vvvv runs, the shmops demopatch runs smoothly, i got hardware acceleration.

can you tell me how you got d3d working in your virtualbox xp guest?
i have ubuntu 10.04-x64 with virtualbox 3.2.0. i first installed virtualbox guest additions according to these instructions, then when that didnā€™t work i tried with wined3d as instructed here. itā€™s a little better, before the entire virtualbox would crash if i tried to run vvvv/any d3d app i think, now vvvv runs but i cannot make Renderers and dxdiag crashes if i run the d3d test :)

any help appreciated! :)

hm, i originally followed the instructions in your first link, on 9.04-64, and as far as i remembered it worked pretty much out of the box.
havenā€™t tried with 10.04, yet. iā€™ll go check if it still works, unfortunately iā€™ll be away until late sunday, so it could take a while. :-/

a shame this piece of nifty software isnā€™t going to go open source. i can imagine what a great community in developing vvvv would arise. i personally would love to see vvvv running on an os-x natively. the software is available for download and unlimited use (not talking about the license) but itā€™s still closed source. why not benefit by going open source. thereā€™s nothing to loose is there?

mind you, open source-ness has nothing to do with being available on linux or macos. iā€™ll happily embrace a closed-source linux vvvv, even though i normally root for FLOSS.

thereā€™s already so much customization possible now without opening the source, i donā€™t see much sense in opening it - except a potentially larger pool of development resources (e.g. for a porting effort), but thatā€™s a big maybe, and it would most probably cut down an important (?) revenue stream for meso - licences.
also, people wanting to contribute meaningfully already do so by writing shaders, plugins, modulesā€¦

i still hope for a linux port, thoughā€¦

apart from that, vvvv is written in delphi, which is a windows only IDE. there is FreePascal on linux, but then no DirectX. porting the current vvvv source makes no sense to me. so either you run it on an emulator, or you stick for now with windows and trust the devvvvs that some day all your dreams come trueā€¦

vvvv performs quite well on OSX via parallelsā€¦ sure this is not fast enough for production-use, but if you want to have a quick look at some patches from the forum it might come in handy.
Another promising thing is wine from here: http://www.winehq.org/ . This will run on linux and its newest version has a new/better direct3D support. But i didnā€™t test thisā€¦

The developers should keep VVVV on windows for now and try to improve it and keep it as stable as possible. Porting the actual application to linux shouldnā€™t be that much of a problem. Kylix is Delphiā€™s little brother for linux. The only thing that worries me are the following things: DirectX support which is actually a Microsoft product; the shaders (DX9 based); plugins and APIs. If the application could be made cross-platform compatible with the option to use OpenGL on linux as well as OpenGL and/or DirectX on windows that would be a plus. Anyway, I also doubt that Meso will do this and also if the community would want that, that would mean Meso would have to make VVVV go open source which would cause a huge drop in profit for them. Although Meso could release a limited community edition for the open source community and keep the full version as is.

VVVV is no (longer a) meso ā€œproductā€. the development started at Meso but vvvv is now maintained by the vvvv group.

what does the vvvv group say about it (this thread).

i think the shaders are my least worry - ones that get uploaded nowadays are often ports from GLSL, anyways. also: plugins - thereā€™s Mono as an alternative to C#. i guess my major worry is the (probably) deep embedding of directx everywhere in the program, and the optimisation with/for directx, which will be difficult to replicate using opengl.

Kylix seems to be abandonware, so i wouldnā€™t hope for much here. but thereā€™s freepascal and/or lazarus.

why does everyone seem to think that cross-platform development necessitates opensource-ness?? Matlab, anyone?

realistically, i think the most probable course is that wine one day becomes so good at integrating directx that vvvv will properly run on wine. this will take a while i fear, unless we can interest (ehm, nerd snipe) the wine direct gurus. i still have to test with the new wine 1.2.
maybe delphi will be cross-platform before then, as is hinted at on the wikipedia page

why does everyone seem to think that cross-platform development necessitates opensource-ness?? Matlab, anyone?

I just think that the vvvv group will not be doing anything on porting vvvv to os-x or linux so i think they should at least give the community a chance. thatā€™s all.

My 0.0154048 EUR (current change)

I switched back to Windows just for vvvv. It s been hard but I had to be rational and do the right choice.

I d love to see vvvv ported to Linux.

That said I don t really see the point right now. vvvv is deeply embedded in a Windows framework, so I suppose a complete port may be a long and painful way to go.

The vvvv team is free to do any kind of choice regarding the licensing so there is no need to take this argument over and over.

Generally I ve learned to make the best use of the current tools. I started with PureData and Gem to do something graphic but it wasn the right way, vvvv is and it runs on Windows only, amen.

Simone

1 Like

we are quite into ā€¦things at the moment and are hoping to be able to give some details at our talk at node10 in november. be theres you squares.

So not just rumors, right?
:)

I would love to be able to attend NODE10 but I am busy during that time. I just love VVVV since the first day I heard of it.