Vvvv communicating over the air with ESP32 via MQTT (or OSC)

Finally got my hands again on the ESP32 microcontroller i had since the Node workshops and got it running with MQTT (as well as with OSC), using the Arduino IDE. Sensors reading (and actors writing) over the air, yeah.

1, Capacitive Touch Button Module sending state to vvvv
2, Photoresistor (could be also a potentiometer or any other analogue read sensor) sending values to vvvv
3, LED trigger from vvvv

3 Likes

Looks amazing!
Let me know if you will open a repo for that. I could perhaps contribute some other sensors (CO2, Humadity, Temprature and…)

1 Like

Okay, I’ll let you know. Need to do some cleanup, but that would be great. I also tested some other simple analogue and digital sensors, poti, buttons etc.

What was tricky, that not all PINs work with all sensors, actors the same. And some sensors work on certain pins, but won’t work if WLAN is enabled if the sensors use the 3v power from the board (probably as the WIFI drags the power) - but on other they do, etc. etc. …

The documentation has some pin type information (see below, might be different for other models), but did not help me to much. If anyone has experiences whoch pins work, would be great to hear. But other then that, it’s really cool, versatile and very affordable.

2 Likes

Hello,

a while ago I created these notes. but no guarantee there, I was confused as well here and there… If you want let me know if it helps, if something is wrong or if you figured out something new :)

1 Like

Some time ago I posted that I was building electronics based on ESP32. I actively design and manufacture various electronic devices on the whole range of ESP32 chips, now I’m actively researching ESP32-C3 as one of the most promising for unloaded systems.

I highly recommend using micropython for ESP32 development, or in the case of ESP32-C3, adafruit’s circuitpython. I think it’s one of the most convenient platforms to quickly create some kind of bindings with VVVV.

You can see an examples of using micropython here, I transferred VVVV video to OLED and e-paper screens:

Maybe a little off topic, but I was able to use circuitpython to install a telegram bot directly on the ESP32 and control the board via telegram.