Vvvv_45beta24 bugs / questions

hm, cannot reproduce. anyone else with similar troubles and/or a stepbystep guide to reproduce?

@joreg
i tried to install net4 and to restore 3.5 sp1 but nothing has changed, vvvv starts in the taskbar only, even if i start patches with dx or gdi renders. the videocard in this laptop is very old and also giving me heavy artifacs lately… could be that related? (running out of ideas) :D

BézierSpread (Spreads) turn red on my machine,i don’t know is this conflict with .net frameworkork or something else. thank you
here’s the pichttps://vvvv.org/sites/default/files/imagecache/large/images/bez.jpg

this looks like a character encoding problem inside vvvv to me… (umlauts are displayed wrong in the screenshot)
not that it is a sufficient solution, but have you tried dragging the nodes in question (bezier*) into your patch manually? could be a possible workaround for now…

@m4d,thxs,that do the trick.

i got an error whe dragging a renderer (ex9) from one display to another

TTY says:

03:24:04  *  : [event.call: error occured in TMLayerGroup](event.call: error occured in TMLayerGroup): Access violation at address 005ACC26 in module 'vvvv.exe'. Read of address 00000000
03:25:30  -  : Texture  (Width: 1, Height: 1, Format: X8R8G8B8, Mip Map Count: 1) loaded in 0.000 seconds.
03:25:30  -  :  [ custom settings ]( custom settings ) loaded in 0.016 seconds.
03:25:30  *  : [event.call: error occured in TMPlugValuePin](event.call: error occured in TMPlugValuePin): Access violation at address 0067FF32 in module 'vvvv.exe'. Read of address 6DADEB04
03:25:30  *  : [event.call: error occured in TMex9EffectWrapperNode](event.call: error occured in TMex9EffectWrapperNode): Access violation at address 004EB816 in module 'vvvv.exe'. Read of address 00000000
03:25:30  -  : Box (EX9.Geometry).Mesh (0) loaded in 0.002 seconds.
03:25:30 ERR : error in layer Group (EX9)
03:25:31 ERR : error in layer Group (EX9)
03:25:32  -  : Texture  (Width: 1, Height: 1, Format: X8R8G8B8, Mip Map Count: 1) loaded in 0.000 seconds.
03:25:32  *  : [event.call: error occured in TMex9EffectWrapperNode](event.call: error occured in TMex9EffectWrapperNode): Range check error

when this happens some (not all) layers disappear from the renderer (phongpoint, a quad and text (ex9) in this case).
vvvv keeps running but those layers won’t come back

vvvv instances, plugins dir & location :

seems you can’t copy an existing and working vvvv_45beta24 folder
to an other drive/folder
you have to extract it from the zip file

Can’t clone template with ctrl+enter or leftclic
vvvv running under vista , all the .net stuff install …
i’m gona try with win7 now…

Hi! Love to run a new Version, finally!
I wasn’t expecting something like the great C# editor!
Is there a page that explains how it’s implemented, e.g. is the compiler part of the Framework? There should be such a page, i think.

Low: The .NET Framework is really a big dirty ressource hog. I wonder whether this evolution will eventually give in. The dependencies (and the emerging not-vvvv-userproblems) are exploding.
I hope to find good tutorial/help about the new features soon.

@sanch, you have to ctrl+leftclick or ctrl+enter in the node browser, not in the patch.

@blausand, you can have a look in the code, its open source.
i can’t confirm the other problems, .NET does not need much of my resources (actually its quite fast on my laptop) and we removed the dependency on SlimDX as we ship it with vvvv now. so you only need DirectX and .NET 3.5 SP1 to run vvvv.

i doubt that there will be a documentation about the implementation of the code editor, but a page explaining the now plugin interfaces is definetly planned.

I’m having some trouble with the TimelinerSA node and the new vvvv…

I enter all the stuff I want into the TimelinerSA interface and save the patch. Then, closing vvvv and reloading the patch causes all that information to be lost…

After inspecting the patch file in notepad I can see all of the values etc are still there, but vvvv isn’t picking them up when it loads the file.

It does however load the pin names/types etc. so I wonder if this is an XML tag issue… but I’m not too well versed in XML… :P

Thanks

Okay, a few more things I noticed:

*The code completion in the C# editor works on all sorts of keys not just Enter. I think it auto-completes on all non-alpha/num-keys (including Space!). That is often pretty annoying when you want to write something like i<SomethingElse because it will auto-complete i to implicit or if as soon as you hit “<”. Just Enter would be enough.

*I am having some grief with paths to fx-nodes. VVVV tends to save them with absolute path (Perhaps expecting them to be in the effects folder as usual). Or it uses some far-away relative path like …/…/…/…/etc But I am sharing my project over Dropbox in one folder, so I keep everything in that folder, fx’es and all. On other peoples’ computers their patch folder will be in a totally different place obviously. Which makes especially the shaders turn up empty (Not red!). So I need relative paths to everything - and so I edit the v4p file every time I save a patch containing a shader fx. Any tips for avoiding this? Or reasons for this behavior?

i have installed .net 3.5 i believe, but is there a .net 3.5 AND a .net 3.5 “sp1”?

i’m unable to run the latest beta of vvvv due to the sp thing.

(edit) the answer is yes, there are of course different .net 3.5’s

here’s the download page for 3.5 sp1

www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=ab99342f-5d1a-413d-8319-81da479ab0d7

@Darkness: thanks, fixed for beta>24

@circuit: thanks, fixed for beta>24

@sebl: is this really specific to beta24? anyway please start a new thread and include an example.

@granny: i cannot confirm your problems with effects and absolut or strange relative paths. basically i see 2 scenarios:

• you use one of (now readonly) effects that ship with vvvv. if you create one of those vvvv will now save them with their nodename, eg. PhongDirectional (EX9.Effect), ie. without a filename
  • you reference a local effect. vvvv will save them with their full filename, ie. typically simply MyPhong.fx or with any relative or absolut path if no relative path can be found (which is only the case if you dragdrop an .fx file on a patch from another drive).

do you see another scenario or can you provide a stepbystepguide to reproduce your troubles?

When I changing IOBox value by my mouse (RMB + move up), changing stop when cursor is on top or bottom of screen. Before I could change it in bigger range without clicking a IOBox or pin again.

Thanks for update!

@dagi: this is a known problem for when you have a second monitor with a different resolution attached. is that so? or do you see this as a specific issue with beta24?

middle clicking on -(Value) in the node-browser opens the following link:
http://vvvv.org/documentation/--(Value)
which does not exist (should be http://vvvv.org/documentation/(value))

The same applies to all “minuses”, “plusses” and “divides”.

@joreg: Sorry for my cryptic bug report earlier - I couldn’t recreate the bug myself - however I think that the problem might’ve been with the .cache files, because since deleting the .cache folder (and editing the patch xml again) everybody who’s using the patch beside me (via Dropbox) seems to be able to have the shaders loading correctly. :)
So we’re happy, all good.

Now I finally wiped my windows and is enjoying the new goodness of beta24 like the rest of you.

I when using Text (EX9) and adjusting alignment it has no effect, it is just centered all the time.

can someone confirm this behavior?

sunep