i recently made some kind of data recorder that would serialize and write to disk a spread of self-created types in VL. the problem was that the recorded files could only be opened/deserialized on the same machine. on other machines it would fail with an exception.
luckily i had master @woei at hand and together we figured, that a simple iobox (that i just used to monitor a value) appeared to be the culprit. when inspecting the decompiled code of the record we saw that this iobox gets a (random) name autoassigned which might be different on another machine. therefore deserialization fails. when removing this iobox everything is fine.
interestingly this behaviour (different names) did not always appear now when recreating the demopatch below. still, i’d consider this a bug as you would expect the behaviour of serialization/deserialization the same on different machines.
here’s a little patch to demo the problem.
serialize_bug.zip (13.1 KB)
alpha 35.18 rc9 and beta36 btw.