VL.Kairos

super awesome kairos and great videos.

thanks and congrats to vl and dottore,s initiative. very impressive ¡¡

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Wow, it was a long journey…
but here we are! 3 years later…
…and we have an official release of Kairos, now available as nuget for vvvv gamma!
here you find an excerpt of the presentation at the last vvvv meetup:

I opensourced the project, you can find it on github:

Kairos is now freely available for any non-commercial use.
To maintain the development i trust commercial users to contribute to the project paying a licence, so that we can keep it evolving for the interest of all.
For licencing this is the contact email: natan.sinigaglia@gmail.com

So what’s next?
Well, I’m currently working at the release of Kairos 1.0 which will be the solid base for further expansion of the software.
My Hope is to release it in the next couple of weeks

…just in time for the first KAIROS WORKSHOP!!!
yes, yes, it’s happening. :)
hosted by the Node institute, this is the page where you can subscribe:

I hope to see you there numerous!!!

For now is all.
I’ll keep posting here more frequent updates from now on.
all the best

Natan

9 Likes

Kairos development camp 1.0

Dear vvvv people,

I am thrilled to announce that the time in which kairos development is ready to take off as a collective endevour, is finally here!
As I mentioned in the last meetup, the past year I’ve been working (on and off) on rewriting kairos. Multiple reasons forced me into this endeavour:

As Kairos is a framework for data control, so generic and vast, it will require maintainance, research and development. As my goal has always been to create an opensource project which grows with the shared effort of the community that takes advantage of it, I had to first ensure that both at the concept and the implementation level, the foundation of the library is accesible and clear. This would allow anyone interested in contributing to approach the library and easily understand how to participate in its development.

We have finally reached this point.
I welcome you into the kairos world, which is at an initial stage, but ready to quickly blossom.
My wish is to arrive with some kairos composition tools (Timeline, Compositor, Matrix, PresetConsole, …) at an advanced stage, fully ready for production by Christmas 2022. I’m confident in saying that this is an achieveable goal if we join forces!

Therefore I would like to invite you to a “kairos intense development camp”, which will last 5 days, from 12th to 16th September 2022 in Berlin. The plan is as follows:

• I introduce you to the kairos concepts, going deep into every aspect of the library from a theoretical point of view.
  • We have a look at the current implementation of all the components that constitute the library.
  • Once we have a grasp of concepts and their implementation, we brainstorm around these to familiarize and imagine user scenarios.
  • We isolate topics, define priorities and make a global roadmap.
  • Either in small groups or all together, we assign tasks and and start working on them.
  • At the beginning and at the end of the day (or spontaneously if an extra need arises) we have open sessions where we share achievements and issues.
  • At the end of the camp, we dedicate a session to sum up the results and plan the remote development over the next months.

I would like to underline that this is not a kairos workshop for final users; it is focused on development.
For this reason, even if the topic interests a lot of users in the community, the camp is addressed to people with a medium-advanced knowledge in vl/c# and object-oriented programming; preferred but not necessary some experience in writing libraries, systems and softwares.
Although presence is highly recommended for productivity reasons, for those extremely interested in participating, who aren’t able to physically attend, there may be the possibility of a continuous streaming option, to allow them to join the workshop (pls write a note about this in the shared spreadsheet below).
In the attempt to keep the camp as open as possible, we will try to publicly stream all the parts which could be relevant for people outside the camp (eg. the theoretical introduction to kairos, creative brainstormings and recap sessions).

The devvvvs kindly offered a space in Praxis for us to sit down at the round (Squared) table and start this adventure as Kairos knights.
It will be a great opportunity to hang out, share some vl knowledge, enjoy meals together and late summer Berlin evenings.

Karos development camp 01

When:
from 12th to 16th September 2022, 10 am to …open.

Where:
Praxis (vvvv developers headquarter)
Oranienstrasse 10, 10997, Berlin

If you are interested in participating, pls add yourself to the list in this shared spreadsheet:

Looking forward to it!

Nat

10 Likes

I will be of no use to you at the camp, but I will sit at home and cheer and send all the best energy and karma.

4 Likes

I sadly can’t support directly in that time period, would have loved to be involved.

I have a humble suggestion though: would you consider preparing real life usecase project(s) to target solutions to in this week?

Could be a project from the past with real data.
Or you could ask the community to come up with one based on their pain points with existing solutions.

I think this could help ensure strong practical usability focus of new features.

3 Likes

Hey @tobyk, sorry to hear you won’t make it this time. It will be for the next kairos camp!

Tnx for the suggestion. 5 days of work won’t probably be enough to give solutions to users problems, but having the final user perspective over things helps tremendously in keeping a grip over priorities and needs.

We could imagine having a dedicated Zoom call where users from the community can show their case scenarios.
I would suggest having this open zoom call on Monday 12th at 19:00 CET, after my introduction to kairos theory and implementation. …Once the camp developers have a better understanding of the library it might be easier to approach scenarios and find solutions.

I’ll add this open call to the agenda and also add a section in the spreadsheet where anyone can book a slot of 10 minutes to talk about her/his usecases.

yo

To facilitate planning the activities, I added a Sheet “Detailed Availability” to the kairos camp spreadsheet.
Pls check in there, so I have a rough idea of what to do and when. cheers