i recently had a look at the Newtek NDI sdk, which allows for easy, high quality video streaming with low latency over GBit ethernet networks and seems to be supported by lots of hardware and software vendors (and is royalty free!). NDI is really fun and quite easy to work with…
NDI support was requested several times and it is already possible to use it from VVVV via Spout and Spout2NDI & NDI2Spout. but using extra software always adds risks or is flaky for some reasons. having a native solution would therefore be preferable.
here is what i’ve got working until now:
- a basic NDI video receiver for VL and VVVV (via UploadImage)
- a (even more) basic NDI video sender for VL
- getting rid of occasional hiccups that at times crash everything
- clarity about licensing from Newtek. as NDI is available in many open source projects (VLC, OBS, …) this is probably not a big deal but i’d like to be sure before releasing.
- audio: having NDI available as a VAudio source is probably the nicest thing to have. but code-wise i have to start learning from scratch here. maybe @tonfilm might give me a hand here.
- time: i’m at a state where NDI is basically running but i’m quite busy at the moment and cannot say, when i can continue working on it. but as soon as it is stable and i’m clear about the licensing i’ll give you something to play with.