Vl Create/Update task problem

Ok i’m stuck and posting here.
All my efforts are taking me nowhere since days…

See the patch attached.

networkRunner_vl.7z (62.7 KB)

the idea is to have a “runner” of some sort (or particle), that runs through arrays of positions and each time that position can reach another array of positions a new runner on this array gets created. hard to explain but i think one can see it in the patch with the simple visualization.

Problem is i am having a hard time creating the new runners. So that there is only one Runner per Array created. I am searching for something like an “onDestroy” behavior, so that only once per lifetime that gets executed and only one Runner per Array is created.
Right now either the conditions i chose are too “lousy” and thousands of runners get created or none…

maybe someone can help. maybe i need to explain it better. but i’m stuck and getting finally over my “i can do this on my own” or “the pros are going to laugh at that” feelings ;-)

Thanks in advance!

edit: thanks @tonfilm. new file is up

hi @quaddro your vl patch seems to be missing. to share it here you need to zip the .v4p together with the \vl folder besides it.

bump because i get the feeling that this is getting buried under new topics.
i find that this is a good example for a task where many solutions are possible and this is a chance to give beginners (like me) a hint how to start.
thanks for your consideration and time!

you are totally right and i have it on my list. thanks a lot for the many comments in the patch, that is really helpful.
did not yet find the time to dig into the logic and where it might have a problem. my plan was to do it today or tomorrow.

ok, so i had a look over your patch and i have two questions:

• is your idea to start a runner and then have it running around in the network until it reaches a dead-end?
  • why do you need to delete a runner and then make a new one at knot positions? wouldn’t it be easier to just use the same runner which then just runs on another array?

the idea is that one runner begins and whenever there is one or more new arrays at knot positions new runners get created and so on.
further conditions can be added if that leads to too much runners but for the start it just ends if there is a dead end array.

is there a difference between deleting one - creating another and switching arrays? for me it sounded simpler because its always the same procedure.
every runner gets killed at the end and IF there are new arrays - new runners get created.

ah ok, so if a runner is at a knot point you want to spawn a new one for each new array. is that right?

exactly. thats the “network” part ;-)

ok, then you will end up with a lot of runners if each one multiplies at each intersection… are you sure this is what you want? what is then the limit for the runners?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.