Using LFO in dynamic spreads

hello guys,

it’s me again. Currently facing my last logical problem.

I’m using elektromeiers beautiful BuildSpread nodes in order to handle dynamic data, coming from an HTTP Post.

Everything works like charme. I have a certain amount of items floating around
my renderer.

Now i wanted to give them some kind of timeout. After 15 seconds for example i want to remove the slice from the spread.

So I evaluate the output of an LFO, mapped to 20 sec and when the output reaches a threshold of 15, i kill the desired slice inside the spread.

No problem so far.

One slices reaches 15 and gets kicked out. But afterwards i run into trouble when the next slice is instantly updated to to a value of 15 and runs from there…

any chances, how I can change my logic to maintain the values of the running LFOs ?

I attached a small patch, which contains all elements that are causing me pain and trouble. already tried a several workarounds for nearly 3 hours…

thanks a lot boys!

max

troublemaker.v4p (53.8 kB)
BuildSpread (Spreads).v4p (18.9 kB)

okay… also noticed the smiliar effect when adding new slices to the spread…

the question would the be… how to properly spread the LFO output, without resetting or changing any values?

When changing, the “percentage” of the running LFO is matched with the new period at the given slice position :-(

hello, here i would add the birth time value if the new slice into the spread and check that against the real time, if it exceeds a certain amount, you delete it:

hello, here i would add the birth time value if the new slice into the spread and check that against the real time, if it exceeds a certain amount, you delete it:

troublemaker.v4p (54.9 kB)

…d’oh!

Thanks a lot! This solved everything!

shouldn’t have been to proud of my success… :-(

now i got stuck, when i try to pause the generated timeout or want to increment the value…

i’m taking a snapshot from the “Timing” node after creation and subtract the number from the running time… so my value runs till it reaches my desired timeout.

but after playing with Switch, FrameDelay and S+H for a while now i was not able to achieve my desired effect…

nobody can help?
another approach was, to increase the “timeout” individualle for each item, while “PAUSE” is hit. But how to handle it?

played with several kinds of feedback loops, but without real success :-/

why dont you use the LFO like in my example? you can pause it and you are done…

so sorry… should have looked more carefully.

don’t know if there were some links missing on the other machine, where i opened your helppatch or was just too fast…

thank you so much… this time even more!

this problem caused me trouble for about 3 days now…

connecting LFO Output and Cycles is pretty smart!

might be that i am to stupid or something…

with your construction i am able to pause a all of my timers… no problem so far.

but if i delete a certain slice, the trouble continues if one of the LFOs was at pause. the next slice in the spread will switch to the old value of the deleted one and runs upwards from there without.

ok, i see. in my example there was only one LFO… do you need to pause each slice seperately?

yeah, that’s the idea. sorry if i didn’t make this point clear enough in the beginning.

imagine it like dynamic gui elements, that appear on a certain signal (i.e. the bang) are added to the spread and have a timeout. while the user
interacts, the timeout should be paused… or even worse… it should be increased…

Hey Maxl,

Not sure if I get the second part, but I think I made a module that pretty much does the first bit. Might be you could tweak it to do what you need?

Hey Maxl,

Not sure if I get the second part, but I think I made a module that pretty much does the first bit. Might be you could tweak it to do what you need?

History (Spreads).v4p (11.3 kB)