Transparency

Hi there!
Just found this : view thread.
…and i’m very curious…So, please Sebastian tell us the story of transparency!!!
Knowledge is power!

So my first question will be : is there a way to avoid little stripes on meshes when using alpha or multiply blending modes??..tried culling and alpha test nodes but nothing seems to work…and just thought about zWriteEnable(maybe the right way)…need to know more about z-buffer and “depthpeeling”…

some parts of the story have been told quite a a couple of times.

Hi, i should have been more specific…i’m talking about transparency with one simple and untextured object…this thread is more close to what i’m talking, but still about multiple textured objects…So my point here is how to achieve dephtpeeling, because in regular times you can’t intersect ploygons (one or multiple objects) and have a good transparency effect… It should be possible with a shader calculating and rendering depth in many passes (but maybe too heavy in realtime…i guess four passes minimum)…i see no other way…
Anyways, Sebastian’s started to tell us the story.

hey desaxismundi!

you really want to do it the hard way?
i don’t know. i never tried to use depth peeling. just used the hacks like sorting whole shapes and using the cull node…

however this looks promising.
note that the DX9Texture can output several rendertargets.
maybe you want to have a try?

First thanx for this nice transparency tutorial, then this MRT method seems really promising, but, i’m afraid, a lil’ bit tricky for such a noob as me ;] I’ll surely give it a try when i’ll be able to understand what’s goin’ on in details…At the moment, z-sorting and order-independent transparency via cull seems the only reallistic way to me…

cheers!

i understand.

if also have some respect for that depth peeling and for sure it is some work to get it right…

for most applications the zsort is quite ok, especially when no complex xfiles are involved.

cheerio