Tablets running vvvv?

iDisplay is interesting because it’s not a remote desktop controller but allow to extend the PC desktop to mobile devices as a DualView mode. Today I will test it.

With this kind of app I can run one patch on a single PC with a render for the monitor/projection and a render on a tablet with the touch interface to control the installation. Is it right?

Do you know other similar apps to compare their performaces?

I think that soon we may be able to get some cheap W8 tablets

Windows Surface RT, can we run vvvv on it? but Windows Surface Pro has Win8pro on it and i5 core processor, the ssd 64GB is nice as well, too bad the graphics is Intel HD Graphics 4000:

@metrowave: Windows Surface RT has ARM architecture and it works only with Windows Store apps. I think v4 can’t run on it.

I will happy if someone proves I’m wrong. :)

Surface RT version is running tegra (eg: ARM) indeed.

@metrowave what’s wrong with Intel 4000?

@vux Nvidia is a better performer for DX11 vs. Intel 4000, am I right?

@metrowave : intel 3000 are pretty crap, got poor dx support (dx10.1 for laptops, dx10.1 with no buffer for tablets).

On the other hand intel 4000 has full dx11 support, and from what I heard/tested is also faster than low end nvidia (beats a 610m actually, i think nvidia gets better from 630).

Make sure you update intel graphics drivers asap since the original ones are buggy as hell.

Oh I see, thanks vux… So Intel 4000 is much improved. That’s good to know as there are lots of new devices that have them. So the Microsoft Surface Pro with Win8pro, i5 processor, and Intel 4000 could be a good tablet for running vvvv.

Guys, I need an app to extend the PC desktop that works fine with vvvv. I tested two apps:

• iDisplay: nice performance with standard application but if I move a vvvv render on the tablet some artifacts appear and fullscreen mode shows a black render
  • Splashtop XDisplay: it doesn’t work because the connection always fails.

Someone has successfully tested any apps with extended desktop feature?

@Alec apps like that can not support DirectX rendering, which is done in the graphics card.
Unless you use the GDI renderer it will not work.

@tonfilm: ok, thanks. So the only way is to use Win7/8 tablet.

I have used the surface pro with vvvv.
It just gets a bit hot if you run heavy patches…

@phil203: what kind of project did you run on your Surface Pro? I would like to buy one to run an animated control interface. Did you find out any performace problems?

Guys, MS Surface Pro supports TUIO protocol?

As ms surface is just a computer, you can install any software which sends TUIO.

@tonfilm: I mean, can I recieve touch data from the tablet touchscreen through TUIO protocol? If not, which are the other ways to receive touch data?

@Alec there was an animated interface patch running on the surface. No performance issues, it is quite quick, but as I said, it gets warm / hot.
And it spits out Mouse (Global/Window) coordinates. I had to have a touch workaround, because the left btn is not sent through correctly. There is another thread about the touch XY / Left Btn here: https://discourse.vvvv.org/

I want to use almost any type of smartphone or tablet as a second touch monitor…basically pass the Renderer in there and Keep the patch in the normal monitor…how easy or how difficult that could be? I saw in the book “Prototyping Interfaces” that with TUIOPad(ios) and TUIODroid(Android) I can do this thing…I just want to use their touch powers and give me back the XY data…Is that possible?