Streaming vvvv output to windows media server?

Hi all,
Next January we’ll be broadcasting some live events (music/video performances). Our initial idea was to just put a camera somewhere and just transmit that to the streaming video server. Then I had a more ambitious idea: to use several (probably 4) cameras in different locations (two filming the performers, one filming the video projections and another one for the audience) and switch between viewpoints, or even make some “creative stuff” with the video. I’d like to use vvvv for that, and then transmit vvvv’s output to our streaming video server, but i don’t know how in the world i would do that, if vvvv can do so on its own, if i have to do some workaround, etc.

Any ideas will be highly appreciated.

What is your videoserver, is it a standalone PC or something else, does it have VGA input or SVideo input, if you want to connect 4 camaras in vvvv you need 4 capture cards, or use a videoswitch/mixer to select the camera source, does your PC suport 2 monitors, one for setting values in your patch, and one for fullscreen result.

And if you want to use 1 machine as videoserver/vvvv-workhorse, I don’t know if it is possible to internal send your renderer to another programm… (any-one??)

But, for 4 cameras, I think it is smart to get a video-mixer, and, why not, run 1 camera through vvvv and back to the mixer… good luck ;)

Hmmmm, my idea was quite a bit simpler. I had thought about using webcams for the video input to vvvv, not “real” cameras, that way i’d avoid a video mixer or 4 capture cards, as my budget is as close to 0 as it can get. I hope vvvv can do that, get the feed of several webcams at a time.

What i don’t know is how to get the output of vvvv into Windows Media via software. I’m starting to think it can’t be done, as the windows media encoder gets the video from a webcam or a capture card, not from other apps. There’s the possibility that Windows Media encoder just captures the screen, and encodes that, I’ll have to check it out.

Another possible workaround would be to get a capture card, so I send vvvv video output to the input of this capture card, and I then use that as the video source for windows media encoder. Of course that means i’d have to get a video capture card…

What do you think?

to get decent performance i’d go for your second approach. you can get analog video capture cards for around 20€.