Some thoughts on vvvv

@rrrr

I know about tonfilm and vux gui plugins. I just had the idea for what is more or less a new side project to vvvv.

Imagine that you could run your user interface on more or less anything, from a android/Iphone all the way to large macs, linux machines or wintendo boxes.

I know this probably takes the project out of the scope of the vvvv group but it would be really practical.

the controlP5 and OSCP5 libraries for processing come to mind. http://www.sojamo.de/libraries/index.php
i’ve been meaning for some time to code a simple gui (layout like touchosc) with that, but too many things to do before that.

I’m biased on this one but I think vvvv would get a boost in support if the video capabilities were better. FileStream and FileStream2 are buggy. And there are issues with Queue/GetSlice.

@xd_nitro: Wow thanks, Ill take a look at new flash.node.

userinterface:
wasnt there a thread somewhen about a sort of Crayon painting style by tablet, where some dev was saying it could be a way of future gui? Would be nice to sketch a box by pen and then choose which one, painting lines for connections, some shortcuts gestures,… The idea of a different interface style would be awesome, but shouldnt be a 1:1 porting of mouse style though.
And you could paint an enduser-interface, may be its buttons, some funny sliders… (@sunep)

programmingstlye:
“is a dataflow metaphor the right thing when…” (@oschatz). I would really like to have a choose option to step-by-step style. Because some stuff is really hard to port to dataflow or even impossible (like blob detection). If one could set a subpatch to a step-by-step style (working like one node in dataflow architecture), that would be great. But damn, I have to wait a year for Xmas-wishes now ;D
@sunep:
object oriented is somehow possible with subpatches. But wonderful too.

plattform-DX9:
That was the idea about having a sort of player application for each plattform: So even an arduino-player could interpret V4-patches but obviously cant render DX.nodes. Workflow would be same, but you have to know what is possible on each plattform somehow. And you keep your knowledge in rendering stuff, programming style or workflow.

@gilbi:
Jepp, I think same. Video is one of V4s big Pros, but loosing more and more. Whats about HD, boygrouping/synching Videos (is hard to achieve), streaming to others PCs/Apps?

@frank
step by step programming…could be solved by a live c# compiler + editor ,like ventuz has or similar to our lovely shader editor. wasn’t there something like this in the pipeline,devs ?

HD video, i agree…would be nice to make use of GPU decoded/multicore decoding codecs. could be probably solved with a plugin. h264 flash videos decode on 4 cores if available btw.

Video syncing across a machine park, well that’s a tricky one for every app. depends so heavily on machine performance, size and codec of the video. i can only think of gpu /multicore decoded videos plus minimum requirements for hardware and strict video specification.

A minute ago, I stumbled over an article at a big blog Smashing Magazine about V4

VVVV is usually used in large media environments like concerts and art installations for real-time motion graphics, video and audio processing and interactive motion graphics. Unlike Quartz Composer, VVVV comes with audio synthesis, 3D Mesh manipulation, and real-time video synthesis built in. It is a powerful application for generating visuals in real-time, even at very high resolution and high frame-rates.

Another important feature of VVVV is that it can make use of multiple computers behaving in sync. All programming and editing can be done on one server computer, while all client computers execute their respective tasks. You can easily use the CPU and GPU power of each computer to do some amazing effects at a cheaper cost. Since VVVV uses DirectX, it’s only available for Windows.

http://www.creativeapplications.net/iphone/c74-maxmsp-iphone/

I’d love to see vvvv run on a Windows mobile phone using Direct3D mobile.

I know windows mobiles aren’t too popular but I love my HTC Sony X1 and the X2 is out soon. It’s got a WVGA (800 x 480) screen and a super sensitive and accurate touch screen, long batter life etc. I’m really happy with it. It’d be sooooooooooo cool to write patches that would run on it.