Select in VL?

Hi all,

The ArtNet node takes a BinSize for Universe DMX value count.

I know know how long my ledsstripes are - now I want to calculate the universes, and their exact binsizes. seems to be a job for vl, but got stuck on the select node.

basically I want to check a spread of dmx values. one of them 1320 = spread of
300VVVV.Value.calcUniverseCount.vl (9.5 KB)

hello,

if i understand correctly, you don’t have spreads as input, so no need tell the inputs that they are spreads, this only adds one more dimension to the input pins. the vl wrapper automatically takes care of the first spread order.

then your calculation is only some basic integer math that creates a spread of bin sizes and adds the remainder:

VVVV.Value.calcUniverseCount.vl (11.5 KB)

sry for the misunderstanding.

yes, the input will be spreads. thats the tricky part.
and the stripelength is the led count. so stripelength * 3 = DMX values

The inputs in this case doesn’t seem to be full universes, but using “just” 510 channels. so the easy way is to just set the bin size to 510.
the last strip doesn’t care that it gets too many values

thing is my pipet pulls the exact number of colors for each stripe.

when I send them in one big spread and the art net node has a fixed bin size, all “stripeSpreads” have to have the same length, or the values will shift between universes.

so I could format the “stripeSpreads” to all have a length of 510, or set the bin size accordingly.
either way, I am facing a problem here that seems to be a VL thing
:P

you do realize that the BinSize pin is spreadable?

just send all the pixels as one big spread as one big spread and have the bin size set to 512

yes of course. but what has this to do with my problem?
I do want do calculate the different binsizes so I can send them into the ArtNet bin sizes spread.

And if I set the binsize to 512 and send everyhing as one spread I get colorshifts after each universe change.
511 and 512 are R +G while the B value is then the first value of universe nr. two
and all colors go nuts.

you said you know how long your led-strips are. so i thought you have e spread of LedStripLengths that would go to the BinSize of the ArtNet node?!

@sunep if he sends with a constant BinSize of 512 wouldn’t that mix things up?

@joreg, no because it will just wrap the first values to come after the last 300 values, so you send a bit more DMX data than needed, but nothing receives it

where 512=510 obviously.

so if all of them are 510 and only the last one is 300 it would suffice to have a constant of 510 set. otherwise, if every strip has a different length, just use those lengths as BinSize, right?

sry guys could we go back to my problem?
lets pretend I just want to get into VL :)

I have a Spread going in, with the led numbers for each strip.
and for each slice I want to calculate how many full universes (510) I need, and how large the remainder is going to be.
and then generate a spread that looks like
300 (remainder)
30(remainder)
etc…

ok I got it working.

VVVV.Value.calcUniverseCount.vl (11.5 KB)

ah well, then it seems i didn’t understand the actual problem in the first place…

that looks weird to me, is it RGB strips?

At least with the boards I have worked with, the strips are automatically wrapped so they eat DMX that is continous, even though a strip stops in the middle of a universe.

the following approach is how I have been using it. at least it works with the boards from advatek:
PipetToDMX.v4p (19.9 KB)

ah, you were the guy that recommended the advatecs! thx
I bought a longrange and am quite happy with it :)

I will have a look at the patch.

ah and my VL patch needs some implementation to check if it needs just one universe…

yes, that’s me :)

since you are using advatek boards, you can set it to automatically set it up so the strips are split in a way so it fits this way of using the universes.
the setup software can do a lot of the thinking for you

Of course I did setup the Advanced Led Control to send the correct universes to the range extenders.
Output One (610 Pixels) = Start Universe 1, End Universe 4, End Channel 300.

But within this universe range the problem still occurs. (I am just looking at it).
I send a white pixel down the line, and after universe one I have two colored pixels.
With ArtNet Binsize 510 it works.

Or are there more settings?

the vl wrapper automatically creates a spread input in vvvv if you have a single value in vl. so the vl patch works ‘slicewise’.

this seems to be the same file that i uploaded. did it work out of the box?