Running VVVV at a stable Tempo

Hi,

I’ve been trying to get vvvv to run at a stable tempo so I can use it to send control data to a synth, but I haven’t been having much luck. When I try to send midi data at a stable rate, it fluctuates wildly, like a person trying to play in time but constantly being distracted.

To test this, I’ve got an LFO with a togedge banging a midinoteout node every second, and recording into my DAW. I should get a stable BPM, but even with mainloop set to raw and nothing else in the patch, it’s all over the place.

I’d have thought that sending control data at stable a tempo would be a pretty fundamental feature for something like vvvv, which makes me wonder if there’s something wrong with my setup, or if I’m missing something.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

hello,

vvvv is processing in frames, as its a video application. so everything happens at the same time in one frame. the LFO itself is very precise, but the frame time at which its read and the note is triggered might vary. this means the precision depends on the frame rate. try to set the mainloop to something like 1000fps to get the maximum rate and try again…

Hey,

I’m rather new to vvvv, but so far I have found with respect to ‘wagon-wheel effect’ tests, that having the following attached item(s) in a ‘patch’ disconnected from anything else, helps make spinning smooth, for ? some reason. Hopefully this helps your issue too.

SmoothFramerate.v4p (8.0 kB)