Rotate a Rectangle

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a node or for a solution to rotate a rectangle. I know I can only transform 2D-Forms if they are a matrix. Saying so, I converted my rectangle to a matrix, tried to rotate it and convert the matrix back to a rectangle. But when I do this, the only thing which happens is it scales my rectangle.

Do you have any tipps?
Thanks

The Rectangle data type is axis-aligned, it is not able to encode all information of a rotated rectangle.

It depends on the use case, but I can think of different encodings:

• a Path: it would store all points. It should have a hit test check. It’s the multipurpose solution that could eventually also be used for other 2D shapes.
  • a new custom datatype that bundles a Rectangle and a Rotation value
  • a Matrix representing the transformation that turns a Unit-Quad into particular rotated Rectangle. Such a transformation can be created with ToQuadTransformation. For hittests you could also store the object inverse transformation. With it you could take a mouse position and get it into the Unit-Quad-Space. If the mouse position is between -0.5…0.5 it’s inside your rotated rectangle.

But as always the best approach depends on what’s next on your wishlist.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.