Some time ago i wrote down how to instal PS/Shoutdown. Probably it helps anybody. But it was on a XP Maschine.
Local machine: the machine where you logged in and where you type in your PSTools command.
Target machine: the machine where you want the PSTools command to execute something remotely.
\target: same as above, substitute "target" by the real machine name or by the appropriate IP address.
1. Set up your maschines like it is descripte in How to Setup a new Machine
The same user Name (e.g admin) and password (e.g. meso) on every maschine (Remote and Locale). Empty passwords are not allowed!
Change Autologon: Start→ run → “control userpasswords2"
- Press Strg + Alt + Enttf and select "change password"
- Set an password and commit
- The User must have administrator privileges
- Restart to check if the Autologon still works and the settings are recognized by Windows
Check if services "Workstation" and "Server" are running
Go to Run (Windows Button + R)
- type "services.msc"
Go to the Services Workstation and Server and set thus as aktive.
Turn off simple file sharing andturn o n classical file sharing.
Click Start | My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | View.
- Scroll to the bottom of the list of advanced settings and un-check Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended).
Turn of network users identify as guests and turn on network users identify as themselves.
Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options
- Look for the line "Network Access:Sharing and security model for local accounts".
- Right Click and Select Properties.
Change Pulldown Menu to "Classic - local users authenticate as themselves".
Check if the the Admin$ share is available.
Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools ->y Computer Management
- Expand the Shared folder
- When the Admin$ is there everthingis fine and got to the next Point else go one
- Click with the right mouse button on Shares, and click New File Shares.
- Enter in the field Folders To Be Shared the path %SYSTEMROOT%.
- Enter: Admin$, and click Next.
- Check the box Administrators have full control, other users have no access to restrict access to the release to administrators.
Click Finish and No, to go back to the Computer Management console
If thre is any firewall on the Target maschine Port 445 has to be open incoming traffic from your local machine
When all these changes are made got to the local maschine.
- Download PSTools to your Local maschine:
Extract to an Directory of your choice e.g "c:/PSTools/"
Test the Remote Connection and the Target Maschine Settings.
As soon as your target machine meets all of the above listed requirements, from your local machine try to execute these commands to your target machine
- Open the command prompt
- net use \target\Admin$ /user:Administrator
- dir \target\Admin$
- net use \target\Admin$ /delete
If these 3 commands work, then it should be possible to run a PSTools
Shutdown the the Traget Maschine with a Command e.g.
"C:/PSTools/ psshutdown -u admin -p meso -f "
Know on the Target Computer should appear a PopUp with Count down from 20 to 0 and the Shoutdown Windows gracefully.
More Commands for PSTools/Shoutdown can be found here: