Performance question renderer

hello,

have some questions concerning the structure of a project and the renderer nodes

for example:

when i have 3 quads with a video texture

1. ist completely in the view of the renderer
  2. half
  3. outside the view of the renderer

all of them are played and being calculated, right?
even the one outside, cause if a alter the scale of the renderers view pin, there is the 3. quad with the video texture!

how is it, if i hide the renderer?
how is it, if i have it in a small window, or fullscreen?

if the performance issue isnt that big with a hidden renderer, wouldnt it be better to have the first renderer hiddn and use this renderer as basis for a new dx9 texture to oput this just on only one quad and have this fullscreened?

or does is just not matter and is all the same?

how is it if i want to have the same renderer open twice?
do i need two renderer?
is i twice the performance?

thanks for replies!!!

• all of them are played and being calculated, right? even the one outside, cause if a alter the scale of the renderers view pin, there is the 3. quad with the video texture!
    right. if you want to optimze this situation you can do so on your own. check the ViewFrustumCulling (EX9.Geometry Mesh) node.

• how is it, if i hide the renderer?
    nothing is being rendered.

• how is it, if i have it in a small window, or fullscreen?
    all is rendered. size of the window makes a small difference for your graphic card. but from vvvv-side all is being calculated anyway as soon as something is visible.

• if the performance issue isnt that big with a hidden renderer, wouldnt it be better to have the first renderer hiddn and use this renderer as basis for a new dx9 texture to oput this just on only one quad and have this fullscreened?
    i don’t see what you’d gain there. a dx9-texture connected to a hidden renderer is exactly the same as if the renderer was showing its window. only that the dx9-texture can’t be antialiased.

• how is it if i want to have the same renderer open twice? do i need two renderer?
    obviously?!

• is i twice the performance?
    no. vvvv-wise everything is calculated once. your graphiccard only renders twice.

thanks for that detailed reply
hope that might help some others, too!

• all of them are played and being calculated, right? even the one outside, cause if a alter the scale of the renderers view pin, there is the 3. quad with the video texture!

joreg: i see that all of the quads are ‘present’ in some sense, but are they really all being ‘rendered’? 'cause when i set up a scene with far too many teapots, there is a considerable difference in ‘render time’ when i set the camera to either look at or away from that scene (in effect putting the teapots in or out of the view frustrum). could you make this more clear to us?

viewfrustrum.v4p (7.4 kB)

@diki: i modified your patch a bit. note the renderers present-pin setting: immediate. only like this you can really test actual render speed.

and actually i don’t see a difference on my pc. from a vvvv view there is no automatic clipping happening. maybe some graphiccards/drivers can optimize some scenarios magically.

viewfrustrum.v4p (8.9 kB)